Justice For Kevan Thakrar.
This petition had 184 supporters
A VICTIM of multiple hearsay and joint enterprise. A gross miscarriage of justice, and blatant disregard for human rights, and the right to a fair trial. He has also been subject to torture within CSC segregation.
• Kevan Thakrar was wrongly convicted of murder and attempted murder in 2008 under “joint enterprise”, the legal rule which means that anyone who participates in any way can be convicted of a crime, regardless of whether they committed it. Kevan wasn’t present when the murder took place, but he was sentenced to life with a minimum of 35 years in jail. He was aged 20.
• There is overwhelming and undeniable evidence which proves the innocence of Kevan, which is being overlooked and ignored.
• The description of the assailant given by witnesses was nothing like Kevan and other ID evidence was unreliable. There was no DNA, cell-citing or forensics to put Kevan at the scene of the crime. Kevan’s alibi witness was threatened by police to stop him testifying. Hearsay evidence was also used from people in Cyprus who had never met Kevan, never attended the trial, and who retracted their statements afterwards.
• Two trials were abandoned because of jury bias. In the third, a juror knew one of the investigating police officers who gave key controversial testimony in court.
• In March 2010, Kevan was attacked by prison officers and then charged with assaulting them. He was put in solitary confinement (locked in his cell for 23 hours a day) – conditions condemned by UN Special Rapporteurs on Torture as “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment".
Therefore we, the undersigned, demand a new and fair trial for Kevan Thakrar; and furthermore we demand he be immediately released from solitary confinement.
For more information: http://justiceforkevan.com/
Today: Kevan is counting on you
Kevan Thakrar needs your help with “Justice For Kevan”. Join Kevan and 183 supporters today.