Petition Closed

In Home Supportive Services of Georgia Pays Parents "KHYREE KARES LAW"

This petition had 181 supporters



We the undersigned are writing to voice our reasons for the implementation and passage of Khyree Kares Law.  This law would be following in California’s footsteps with the IHSS Relative Payment to Care for a Special Needs Loved One.

Khyree’s mom is a divorced, disabled veteran with an honorable discharge. She also has a bachelor’s and master’s degree with honors.  Her son Khyree was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his throat 3 times, cutting the oxygen off from his brain and leaving him with severe brain damage. Khyree has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and developmental delay. For 23 years, Khyree’s mom has refused to put him in any state facilities and continues to fight to care for him at home with limited financial resources.

Divorced, widowed or single parents struggle, financially, emotionally and physically to care for their special needs children and adult children.  Oftentimes their medical conditions do not allow us to work regular jobs. It's not that we don't want to work and contribute to society or to our own retirements/social security but with a medically fragile child/adult child the dreams of working even part time dissolve.

Explaining to your boss every week or every other week that you can't come into work for the next 2-3 days because your child had a seizure or is on life support fighting for their life can easily cost you your job. 

We are looked down on and viewed as less than normal members of society because we have special needs loved ones.  We refuse to lock them away in government facilities, opting to do the more difficult thing and try to care for them at home. They have feelings and a heart just like everyone else and they deserve to be loved and cared for appropriately.  Our society and government should pull together to help make this possible. No child, whether special needs or without a disability should be made to feel unloved and unwanted.


Parents of children under the age of 21 will still be abiding by the SSI rules and this will allow them to earn more towards the cost of living. They will be paying taxes into the system that paid their salaries and they will be able to pay into their own social security benefits for the future.

Parents of children age 21 and over will still be paying taxes back into the system that paid their salaries, paying into their own social security benefits and will be able to help cover the cost of living.

Both groups of parents are able to gain some sort of financial stability even when their child cannot attend school or a day program due to a chronic illness like seizures or Cerebral Palsy.  Parents need to be at home, caring for that child/adult child.


When both parents are in the home, a parent may receive a payment as an IHSS provider only under the following conditions: (a) The conditions specified in Sections 30-763.451(a) through (c) shall be met. (b) The nonprovider parent shall be unable to provide the services because he/she is absent because of employment or in order to secure education as specified in Section 30-763.441, or is physically or mentally unable to provide the services, as specified in Section 30-763.442. (c) If the nonprovider parent is unable to provide services because he/she is absent for emp10yment or educational purposes, payment shall be made to the provider parent only for services which are normally provided during the periods of the nonprovider parent's absence as indicated above . .454 The IHSS provided shall be limited to: (a) Related services, as specified in Section 30-757.13. (b) Personal care services, as specified in Section 30- 757.14. (c) Assistance with travel, as specified in Section 30-757.15. (d) Paramedical services, as specified in Section 30-757.19. (e) Protective supervision, as specified in Section 30-757.17, limited to that needed because of the functional limitations of the recipient. This service shall not include routine child care or supervision . .46 When the recipient is a parent living with his/her child(ren) who is under fourteen years of age and who is not eligible or does not need IHSS.

When the recipient is under eighteen years of age and is living with the recipient's parent(s), IHSS may be purchased from a provider other than the parent(s) when no parent is able to provide the services for any of the following reasons: .441 when the parent(s) is absent because of employment or education or training for vocational purposes . .442 if the parent(s) is physically or mentally unable to perform the needed services . .443 when the parent is absent because of on-going medical, dental or other health-related treatment. .444 up to eight hours per week may be authorized for periods when the parent(s) must be absent from the home in order to perform shopping and errands essential to the family, or for essential purposes related to the care of the recipient's siblings who are minors . .45 When the recipient is under eighteen years of age and is living with the recipient's parent(s), IHSS may be purchased from a parent under the following conditions: .451 All of the following conditions shall be met: (a) The parent has left full-time employment or is prevented from obtaining full-time employment because of the need to provide IHSS to the child; (b) There is no other suitable provider available; (c) If the child does not receive the listed services the child may inappropriately require out-of-home placement or may receive inadequate care . .452 For the purposes of Section 30-763.451(b), a suitable provider is any person, other than the recipient's parent(s), who is willing, available, and qualified to provide the needed IHSS.

In addition to those services listed in Section 30-763.445, a spouse may be paid to provide the following services when he/she leaves full-time employment or wishes to seek employment but is prevented from doing so because no other suitable provider is available: (a) Transportation (b) Protective Supervision .42 Landlord/Tenant Arrangements .421 When the recipient is the tenant, the need for domestic and heavy cleaning services shall be based on the living area used solely by the recipient. No need for yard hazard abatement shall be assessed. The needs assessment shall take into account any services the landlord is obligated to perform under the rental agreement. .422 When the recipient is the landlord, the need for domestic and heavy cleaning services shall be assessed for all living areas not used solely by the tenant. The needs assessments shall take into account any services the tenant is obligated to perform under the rental agreement. .43 If the recipient has moved into a relative's home primarily for the purpose of receiving services, the need for domestic and heavy cleaning services shall be assessed only for living areas used solely by the recipient. Yard hazard abatement services shall not be provided.


Help us, help ourselves! A lot of us want to keep our loved ones at home and are terrified about placing them outside the home.  We would love to be able to keep our loved ones at home and still earn a living. As the sole person (single parent) caring for a medically fragile child, you have to make a decision to go to work or stay at the hospital to see if they will make it off of life support? How do you buy food? How do you pay for water and utilities?

We don’t blame companies for not wanting to hire us or for firing us after missing too many days due to a medically fragile child/adult, however, we too need to be able to earn a living and effectively meet the needs of our families.

California is paying two parent households so one parent can stay at home full time with the special needs loved one while allowing the other parent to go out and work a job outside of the home. A two parent household in California now brings in two incomes to help support the family and still have one parent able to provide care to the special need loved one to include staying at the hospital until discharge.

However, in the state of Georgia, the politicians said that a one parent household needs to make a choice and place the child in a state residential home and go to work outside of the home or keep your loved one at home and receive no payments for the almost 100 hours per week of care that we provide. The state of Georgia would rather pay a non-relative to do the job that we can and do with love, dignity and knowledge of what our loved one needs.  Some of these non-relative state license providers are mistreating and abusing our loved ones especially the non-verbal medically fragile!

The state of Georgia told us that they will pay us to care for other people’s medically fragile children/adult children but not our own.  They don’t see how caring for our own medically fragile children/adult children can be considered a job. These are some of the words from the same people writing the laws, employees of Region 3, abusive state license providers and a few other people.

We are asking for up to 40 hours per week to safely care for our loved ones. We are willing to meet the same requirements as a non-relative, with training such as CPR, first aid, background checks and being monitored by a state agency. Parents should be approved to be paid as the main caretaker for up to 40 hours per week.

PLEASE HELP FAMILIES HELP THEMSELVES! Please ask your family and friends to sign this petition. Your support in this matter is greatly appreciated by tens of thousands of families!


Today: Karen is counting on you

Karen Brown needs your help with “Judy Fitzgerald: In Home Supportive Services of Georgia Pays Parents "KHYREE KARES LAW"”. Join Karen and 180 supporters today.