Change Traffic Pattern -- Broadway, Massapequa, NY
This petition had 98 supporters
Broadway in Massapequa is a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction) that runs north/south.
- from Linden Street (just south of Sunrise Hwy where Hicksville Road & Broadway come together) in Massapequa to
- Boundary Avenue in Plainedge
This 3.2 mile stretch of road sees much more traffic than the current traffic pattern is suitable for and has seen many accidents recently, some of which involving fatalities and serious injuries. Some of these accidents are listed below:
- 5/3/17 - van side-swiped then hit 2 cars & flipped over on Broadway just north of Sunrise
- 7/21/16 - pedestrian hit on Broadway & New York Ave
Currently the traffic pattern is: 2 lanes in each direction, one lane for parking on each side in the shoulder, and is very tight.
Motorists often have to move from the right to left lane to avoid a person getting into a car parked on the shoulder. Motorists turning onto Broadway from side streets often have no clear view of the cars approaching so they can safely turn onto Broadway.
We need to change the traffic pattern on Broadway to address this problem before more accidents, injuries & fatalities occur!
- reduce traffic to one lane in each direction with a shared center turning lane
- restrict parking to starting 10 feet from intersections (or whatever is a safe distance to allow drivers to see oncoming traffic)
- keep parking on the shoulder & consider whether reduced number of lanes would allow for angled parking to increase parking spaces available for patrons of businesses or whether the parking spaces should stay as they are.
- conduct a traffic flow study to determine the extent of the problem and validate the above suggestions and/or suggest others that would make this road safer for the users of it.
Today: Jocelyn is counting on you
Jocelyn Davis needs your help with “Joseph Saladino: Change Traffic Pattern -- Broadway, Massapequa, NY”. Join Jocelyn and 97 supporters today.