Support for a "Straws Upon Request" policy in Akron Restaurants
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world's oceans. While we can't solve all the world's problems by simply curbing our plastic use, we can make a significant impact as a city by creating a culture in our full-service restaurants where we get "Straws Upon Request."
What is the problem with straws?
- Roughly 500 million disposable straws are used by Americans daily (some argue this is actually a LOW estimate!).
- Straws were ranked the seventh most common piece of trash collected in 2017 on global beaches by volunteer cleanup crews associated with the Ocean Conservancy, a marine environmental advocacy group.
- Disposable straws are usually made from plastic and plastic never breaks down. As time goes by plastic will separate into smaller and smaller pieces, but never completely biodegrades (this makes its way into the bodies of our marine life and then into our food system as microplastics). This point is hugely impactful as we're a Great Lake state.
- This is an easy change to make that has the potential for a much larger impact.
- Click here for further reading on the problem with plastic straws.
Please sign this petition if you are an Akronite who:
- Doesn't want a straw automatically plopped in your drink when you're out dining at our wonderful Akron eateries.
- Wants the option to bring their own reusable straw or drink straight from the glass (gasp!).
- Would like to see our city come together to curb plastic usage in restaurants by implementing a "Straws Upon Request" policy (possibly offering a paper or reusable straw alternative).
*Note: This is not a request for an outright plastic straw ban in Akron. We understand that Akronites with disabilities often need a straw (and it seems that, right now, plastic straws are often the best and safest option) - this is why we believe restaurants should adopt a "Straws Upon Request" policy and still have straws available for those who need them.
Today: Meghan is counting on you
Meghan Meeker needs your help with “John Kasich: "Straws Upon Request" in Akron Restaurants”. Join Meghan and 1,578 supporters today.