Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Colorado
This petition had 887 supporters
As a sexual assault survivor and activist, the laws that we have for rape survivors are simply unacceptable to me. Please help us pass this in each state, as we did on a national level, in order to protect these warriors!
I'm calling on Colorado to pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights that will guarantee comprehensive, common sense civil rights for survivors:
Rise’s Five Key Civil Rights:
1. The right to not have your rape kit destroyed before either 20 years or the statute of limitations has passed (whichever is longer).
2. The right to be notified of your civil rights related to a sexual assault.
3. The right to not be charged for your own rape kit examination.
4. The right to access your own medical record related to a rape kit examination.
5. The right to a copy of your own police report.
Over forty states have backlogs for untested kits. Some states do not cover the full medical expenses of a kit, leaving survivors to pay their own way towards justice. Most states destroy rape kits before the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. The lack of these rights has inspired us to act.
This is a crisis for 25 million survivors across America, and it's time for our legislators to do something about it.
Today: Kylie is counting on you
Kylie Sarpa needs your help with “John Hickenlooper: Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in Colorado”. Join Kylie and 886 supporters today.