- Joe McHugh T.D.Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs and the Department of C
- Enda KennyTaoiseach of Ireland
Save the Aran Islands Aeroplane Service
- "It’s a bit worrying to be stranded, particularly for a business here. They rely on the air service for its reliability, in a place where boats often simply can’t approach in winter because of the severity of storms."
- "If a business-owner here wants to send a Fedex for example or something that simply can’t wait, that service is essential, while cargo can only be brought in and out by air."
- "I don’t believe that they currently have the kind of helicopters that can handle the weather we get out here, which is nothing personal, good luck to them for landing the tender. The kind of helicopters that can are simply too expensive."
- "I don’t think we’re even talking about a danger here because a trained pilot isn’t going to look at ferocious weather and then decide to go up in the air risking his own life."
- “The people of the Aran Islands are hugely concerned by this decision”
- Aer Arann provided a priceless service to the Islands. It was also just a puddle jump from the Airport on the mainland in Connemara to the three Aran Islands.
- Quotes taken from various sources, mainly local man Ruairí de Blacam of Inis Meáin.
- Sign this petition to show that we cannot and will not stand to lose such a essential service to the Islands. We can try and convince the minister that made the decision - Tom McHugh (Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs and the Department of Communications) to think again, and perhaps we can reach a comprise! Thank you.
- Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs and the Department of C
Joe McHugh T.D.
- Taoiseach of Ireland
Save the Aran Islands Aeroplane service.
The Aer Arann service has been incredible to the locals and tourists wanting to visit the amazing Ghaelacht Islands that are the Aran Islands. For 45 years Aer Arann has brilliantly added to the Aran Islands, you could fly from Connemara to the Aran Islands and vice versa in just a few minutes.
The Locals and people of Ireland are concerned that a helicopter service to the islands, although it saves money, just will not work, especially in the winter months when helicopters simply couldn't fly to the Islands, leaving the Islands potentially isolated for days on end.
The Government has heavily subsidised this service in the past, but it kept a rural community alive, and started quite a large tourist industry on the islands, something that can not continue the same way without a very reliable Air service, unfortunately which cannot be provided by helicopters.
We hope that you change your mind or at least reach some sort of comprise with the people, but we need an Aeroplane service to the islands, and it's something we cannot do without.
Please, in your position of power, you can make a difference. Let's save a cherished part of our country from further isolation.
Arron Rabbitte started this petition with a single signature, and now has 5,902 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Brid is counting on you
Brid Ni Chualain needs your help with “Joe McHugh T.D. : Save the Aran Islands Aeroplane Service”. Join Brid and 5,901 supporters today.