Help Alex commute his sentence.

0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!

My husband Alex is going into his 15th year in prison. He was only 22 years old when he received a life without parole sentence for being a get away driver to a robbery that resulted in an unintentional killing (Felony murder rule). At that moment, it could have seemed like life was over for him, but instead he used this as an eye opening opportunity to change his life.

Alex has received a Paralegal certificate from Blackstone Career Institute and is currently working on an A.A. degree in Business at Coastline Community College. He was involved in countless hours of self-help programs, to name a few: Lifers Group, Victims Awareness Offenders Program, Houses of Healing "Self Awareness and Recovery," Parenting skills and Breaking Barriers. In addition to attending groups he has received several certificates for starting new groups and facilitating them. Alex goes out of his way to help anyone interested in changing their lives so they can re-enter society without criminal behavior and substance abuse free. He has worked as a Clerk for the Facility Captain and currently works for the Warden as the Chair on the Inmate Advisory Council. 

Personally knowing my husband before he went in to now, he has completely changed. The maturity he now demonstrates is proof that rehabilitation in prison works. Among many of the great qualities he has developed, my husband is patient and thoughtful during numerous situations that has made his growth a blessing, not only to himself, but our family and others he helps daily. 

Alex has missed out on being there for his three daughters physically and emotionally daily. Two have grown into young adult women and our 15 year old daughter is almost there as well. 

I am asking Governor Jerry Brown to commute my husbands sentence and have the Life Without Parole removed. All I ask is Alex be able to go to the parole board so he can prove to them he has positively been rehabilitated. Please help me make this happen. Thank you for your time. 

Want to share this petition?