Degrees Not Debt: Sign to Make College Debt Free in California
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Monique Graham is a fourth-year student at CSU Sacramento.
She explained to KCRA 3 News “I definitely want to get my masters and my doctorate degree, but how do I go get that when I’m already $40,000 in debt?”
There are thousands of Moniques attending college in California today.
As college tuition increases, so does student debt.
This year student debt in the United States hit a record high of $1.31 trillion.
The average debt load for a California college graduate is roughly $22,000.
California Assembly Democrats have introduced the Degrees Not Debt Plan.
The Degrees Not Debt Plan is the most progressive college aid plan in the nation and will make college more affordable for millions of Californians.
Here’s how the Degrees Not Debt Plan would work:
Make Community College More Affordable Now:
- Provides tuition-free community college for first year, full-time, lower income and middle class students.
- Expands the Success Grant program to help lower income students manage living expenses.
Protect the Middle Class Scholarship:
- The Middle Class Scholarship Program helps 55,000 CSU and UC students make college more affordable. The Degrees Not Debt Plan would protect this scholarship from being eliminated.
Establish Degrees Not Debt Scholarships over the next five years:
- Degrees Not Debt Scholarships will be available to 400,000 CSU and UC students receiving Cal Grants, University Grants, and Middle Class Scholarships.
- The Degrees Not Debt Scholarships addresses the non-tuition costs of college such as housing, books and transportation.
- The Degrees Not Debt Scholarships will be phased in over a five-year period, thereby reducing student debt by 20% each year until debt free college is fully achieved.
Please sign this petition to urge Governor Jerry Brown and the California State Legislature to support the Degrees Not Debt Plan.
California State Assembly, 7th District
Click here to learn more about the Degrees Not Debt Plan.
Today: Assemblymember Kevin is counting on you
Assemblymember Kevin McCarty needs your help with “Jerry Brown: Degrees Not Debt: Sign to Make College in California Affordable”. Join Assemblymember Kevin and 220 supporters today.