Ban Single Use Plastic Bags in Omaha
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
Bold action is needed on climate change! Let's make a stand and do something that will make a real difference.
- Plastic bags are used for an average of 12 minutes.
- According to Waste Management, only 1 percent of plastic bags are returned for recycling. That means that the average family only recycles 15 bags a year; the rest ends up in landfills as litter.
- Americans use 100 billion plastic bags a year, which require 12 million barrels of oil to manufacture.
- It only takes about 14 plastic bags for the equivalent of the gas required to drive one mile.
- Target gives away enough plastic bags a year to wrap around the Earth 7 times.
- The average American family takes home almost 1,500 plastic shopping bags a year.
- Up to 80 percent of ocean plastic pollution enters the ocean from land.
- At least 267 different species have been affected by plastic pollution in the ocean.
- 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually.
- One in three leatherback sea turtles have been found with plastic in their stomachs.
- It takes 500 (or more) years for a plastic bag to degrade in a landfill. Unfortunately the bags don't break down completely but instead photo-degrade, becoming microplastics that absorb toxins and continue to pollute the environment.
Today: Scout: Dry Goods & Trade is counting on you
Scout: Dry Goods & Trade needs your help with “Jean Stothert : No More Single Use Plastic Bags in Omaha”. Join Scout: Dry Goods & Trade and 10,898 supporters today.