Jamshedpur Say NO to Municipality
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Jamshedpur is home to the world's tenth largest steel manufacturing company, Tata Steel.
- the only ISO 14000 city in the country.
- Jamshedpur is also the first planned industrial city of India.
- Legend has it that in the late 1980s when the state government proposed a law to end the Tatas' administration of Jamshedpur and bring the city under a municipality, the local populace rose in protest and defeated the government's proposal. In 2005, a similar proposal was once again put up by lobbying politicians.
- Messrs Julin Kennedy Sahlin from Pittsburgh prepared the first layout of the town of Jamshedpur. What the city looks like today is a testament to their visionary plans.
- Jamshedpur is the only million plus city in India without a municipal corporation.
- Jamshedpur is probably the only city in the country where one million people drink water directly from the tap and do not need any kind of purification system on their premises such is the quality of the water provided to us.
- Jamshedpur had been chosen to be one of the six cities to participate in the UN Global Compact Cities pilot programme. The other five cities are Melbourne (Australia), Porto Alegre (Brazil), Tianjin (PRC), Nairobi (Kenya) and Sans Francisco (USA).
The petitioner has told “The establishment of a municipality ensures that the basic decisions affecting the lives of the people at the local level are taken by an elected council which is directly accountable to the people. Because of the non-establishment of the municipality in Jamshedpur basic services like primary education, health, sanitation, water supply, solid waste management, and other public necessities like road, parks etc. are the responsibility of an unelected, unaccountable bureaucratic industrial establishment which is affecting the rights of the people.”
But any decision should be taken based on the ones living here in Jamshedpur rather than the people in the national capital.
So please it is a request to sign and promote this petition as much as possible to get the required support of the citizens of Jamshedpur and the Government Of Jharkhand.
Today: Amitesh is counting on you
Amitesh Verma needs your help with “Jamshedpur Say NO to Municipality”. Join Amitesh and 59 supporters today.