Action from the Westchester Human Rights Commission
This petition had 175 supporters
Since the election of Donald Trump, Westchester County has suffered a wave of anti-Semitic actions and hate speech directed at people of color. Our community centers have received bomb threats, our children are being taunted at school about deportation, and people of color have been attacked with racial slurs. We were assured by County Executive Astorino that our Human Rights Commission is working to combat these issues.
Yet, the Commission appears blind to these incidents. It has refused to answer calls or e-mails from the community. An entire week passed before they issued a press release. While condemning the hateful acts, they offered no action plan to combat them.
We, the voters of Westchester, demand that the Commission:
1) Make it easier for people to report hate speech and hate crimes;
2) Reach out to the immigrant community to clarify whether they are at risk of deportation if they report attacks;
3) Start cataloguing these incidents so that we can understand the extent of the problem;
4) Develop a plan to work with schools, police, clergy, local leaders to promote tolerance and guide victims on reporting incidents
5) Report to the County on successful implementation of the above.
Today: Svetlana is counting on you
Svetlana Wasserman needs your help with “James Castro-Blanco: Action from the Westchester Human Rights Commission”. Join Svetlana and 174 supporters today.