Students Against Coronavirus started this petition to Senior Officers at Durham university Queen campus in Stockton-on-tees (President & Principal) and
The university is planning to be "operating as normal."
However, this disregard for risk is unsafe for multiple reasons. queen campus is highly populated - students go to class and eat together. If the Senior Officers do not take action, the virus has potential to jeopardise not only the health of our students and staff, but also our families and neighbors.
Some schools in the UK have already sent pupils and staff home when cases of coronavirus were suspected. Universities without coronavirus cases in Italy have been closed. Universities such as Stanford University have been requesting school closure, even without a confirmed coronavirus case. Clearly, action needs to be taken right now before opportunities arise for greater danger.
We're requesting that you:
1. Protect your students and staff
2. Transition to entirely online learning by the end of March 18th, which already exists through Lecture Capture on KEATS
3. Inform students about confirmed cases of coronavirus in a straight-forward fashion
4. Continue to provide more resources to combat racism and hate speech; make it more clear in your communications that discrimination should not be tolerated
5. Recognise your impact; protecting our greater community beyond students and staff is key and is the right thing to do