A new international convention would encourage a different way of thinking about the landscape by:
- considering the landscape as a cultural and natural concept, a physical and abstract entity, having economic and social value;
- focusing on the experience people have of their physical environment, dealing with the protection of the past as well as the shaping of the future recognising the vital connections between governance, culture, health and economics;
- offering inspiration through principles and guidelines, encouraging work across established institutional, geographical and disciplinary boundaries;
- providing leadership, sharing and rewarding good practice;
- dealing with the whole space, the rural and the urban, wilderness and man-made, the most treasured and memorable and as well as the unloved and degraded, will help establish the landscape as a holistic tool for planning, managing and creating sustainable development.
International Landscape Convention by IFLA started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,915 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.