Help us to free the human right defender Mudawi Ibrahim Adam.
Questa petizione aveva 230 sostenitori
On 7 December, Dr Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and his driver Mr Adam El-Sheikh were arrested and forcibly transferred to an unknown location. As of 8 December, the whereabouts of Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and driver Adam El-Sheikh are still unknown.
Dr. Mudawi Ibrahim Adam is an internationally recognised human rights defender. He is the founder and Chairperson of the Sudan Social Development Organization (SUDO). The organisation was closed down in 2009 and has not been permitted to resume its activities in spite of winning a court action against its closure. Since its establishment in 2001, SUDO successfully implemented various human rights advocacy projects as well as water, sanitation and health projects in southern Blue Nile, which is one of the most deprived areas in the country. SUDO also engaged in humanitarian activities including providing emergency services in North, South and West Darfur as well as in human rights education and development projects throughout the country. Mudawi Ibrahim Adam was a participant in the national dialogue in Sudan in 2016. The human rights defender holds a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, is a Professor of Engineering at the University of Khartoum and runs his own engineering company.
The 7 December, at around 3.00pm, Dr Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and his driver Adam El-Sheikh were arrested and forcibly transferred to an unknown location from the University of Khartoum campus. Officials from the Sudanese NISS brought Adam El-Sheikh along for a search of Mudawi Ibrahim Adam’s house but nothing was confiscated. There are grave concerns that Adam El-Sheikh may be at serious risk of torture or ill-treatment for the purposes of collecting information about Mudawi Ibrahim Adam.
Human rights defenders in Sudan are frequently subjected to harassment and secret detention by the security forces. Mudawi Ibrahim Adam has previously been targeted by the Sudanese authorities and repeatedly arbitrarily detained by the security forces and kept in incommunicado detention. In every cases all charges against him were dropped and he was released.
We express our grave concern for the arrest and detention of Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and Adam El-Sheikh and we are deeply worried about their physical integrity.
We urge the authorities in the Republic of the Sudan to:
1. Immediately and unconditionally release Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and Adam El-Sheikh as they are being held solely as a result of Mudawi Ibrahim Adam’s legitimate and peaceful work in the defence of human rights;
2. Take all necessary measures to guarantee Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and Adam El-Sheikh physical and psychological integrity and security;
3. Ensure that Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and Adam El-Sheikh have immediate and unfettered access to their families and lawyers;
4. Ensure that the treatment of Mudawi Ibrahim Adam and Adam El-Sheikh , while in detention, adheres to the conditions set out in the ‘Body of Principles for the Protection of All Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment', adopted by UN General Assembly resolution 43/173 of 9 December 1988;
5. Guarantee in all circumstances that all human rights defenders in the Republic of the Sudan are able to carry out their legitimate human rights activities without fear of reprisals and free of all restrictions.
Petizioni più popolari
Oggi: Bruna conta su di te
Bruna Sironi ha bisogno del tuo aiuto con la petizione "email@example.com: Help us to free the human right defender Mudawi Ibrahim Adam.". Unisciti con Bruna ed 229 sostenitori più oggi.