- Heuer, KathyRepresentative district h083
- Friend,William C.Representative district h023
- Forestal,DanRepresentative district h100
- Errington,SueRepresentative district h034
- Eberhart,SeanRepresentative district h057
- Dvorak,RyanRepresentative district h008
- DeVon,DaleRepresentative district h005
- Dermody,ThomasRepresentative district h020
- DeLaney,EdwardRepresentative district h086
- Frizzell,David N.Representative district h093
- Frye, RandyRepresentative district h067
- Heaton, BobRepresentative district h046
- Harris,Earl L.Representative district h002
- Harman, TimothyRepresentative district h017
- Hamm,RichardRepresentative district h056
- Hale,ChristinaRepresentative district h087
- Gutwein,Douglas L.Representative district h016
- Goodin,TerryRepresentative district h066
- GiaQuinta, PhilRepresentative district h080
- Davisson, SteveRepresentative district h073
- Davis,BillRepresentative district h033
- Culver,WesleyRepresentative district h049
- Behning,Robert W.Representative district h091
- Bauer,B. PatrickRepresentative district h006
- Battles,KregRepresentative district h045
- Bartlett,JohnRepresentative district h095
- Baird,JimRepresentative district h044
- Bacon,RonRepresentative district h075
- Austin,TerriRepresentative district h036
- Arnold,LloydRepresentative district h074
- Bosma,Brian C.Representative district h088
- Braun,StevenRepresentative district h024
- Crouch,SuzanneRepresentative district h078
- Clere,EdwardRepresentative district h072
- Cherry,BobRepresentative district h053
- Carbaugh,MartinRepresentative district h081
- Candelaria Reardon, MaraRepresentative district h012
- Burton,WoodyRepresentative district h058
- Brown,TimothyRepresentative district h041
- Brown,CharlieRepresentative district h003
Indiana's House of Representatives : Make seatbelts Mandatory on School buses in Indiana
On September 21, 1999 when the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) reported a special investigation of bus crashworthiness and concluded that:
Current compartmentalization is incomplete in that it does not protect school bus passengers during lateral impacts with vehicles of large mass and in rollovers, because in such accidents, passengers do not always remain completely within the seating compartment.
The National Coalition for Seatbelts on School Buses lists the following as reasons why all large school buses should have seatbelts. (Smaller school buses that weigh less than 10,000 pounds are already required to have them.)
- If a crash occurs, the use of seat belts will reduce the probability of death and the severity of injuries to children correctly seated in school buses.
- Seat belt usage improves passenger behavior and reduces driver distractions.
- Seat belts offer protection against injuries in rollover or side impact crashes.
- Seat belt usage in school buses reinforces good safety habits.
- The cost to install seat belts is nominal.
According to a study by the AAP in 2001-2003, there were an estimated 51,100 school bus-related injuries treated in the United States emergency departments, which averages to about 17,000 children injured in school bus accident each year. Lap shoulder belts reduce injuries and fatalities by about 45% in all types of crashes.
Why risk putting these young children at risk everyday?
(Sources: http://www.ncsbs.org/testimonies/fatalities_and_injuries.htm; http://life.familyeducation.com/school/safety/36260.html; http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15581273/ns/health-childrens_health/t/school-bus-injuries-much-higher-thought/#.Ub9jDOf2Zc4)
- Representative district h083
- Representative district h023
- Representative district h100
- Representative district h034
- Representative district h057
- Representative district h008
- Representative district h005
- Representative district h020
- Representative district h086
- Representative district h093
- Representative district h067
- Representative district h046
- Representative district h002
- Representative district h017
- Representative district h056
- Representative district h087
- Representative district h016
- Representative district h066
- Representative district h080
- Representative district h073
- Representative district h033
- Representative district h049
- Representative district h091
- Representative district h006
- Representative district h045
- Representative district h095
- Representative district h044
- Representative district h075
- Representative district h036
- Representative district h074
- Representative district h088
- Representative district h024
- Representative district h078
- Representative district h072
- Representative district h053
- Representative district h081
- Representative district h012
Candelaria Reardon, Mara
- Representative district h058
- Representative district h041
- Representative district h003
- Indiana State House
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) reported Current compartmentalization is incomplete in that it does not protect school bus passengers during lateral impacts with vehicles of large mass and in rollovers, because in such accidents, passengers do not always remain completely within the seating compartment.
California, New York, New Jersey , Florida, Louisiana, and Texas school districts require seat belts. LET'S PUT INDIANA ON THIS LIST!
Tara Bruner started this petition with a single signature, and now has 46 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Tara is counting on you
Tara Bruner needs your help with “Indiana's House of Representatives : Make seatbelts Mandatory on School buses in Indiana”. Join Tara and 45 supporters today.