#WWWR We Want Women Reservation is an initiative by United Against Patriarchy, a group of school students. The aim of the campaign is to pass bring back Women Reservation Bill which seeks to provide 33% reservation to women in Parliament and all state legislative assemblies.
The Indian constitution provides equal rights to both men and women but due to the entrenched Patriarchy in our society, women still do not have equal participation and representation in various fields. One of the most important of these fields is the law making institution of our country - The Indian Parliament.
P.S This petition and/ or its results will be mailed to The Prime Minister, Opposition Leaders and concerned organizations after every 500 signatures.
You may ask - Why Does India Need Women Reservation?
1. Women constitute around 50 % of our population but the highest percentage of women that have ever been elected to the Lok Sabha is just 14.58 %.
2. Women representation is required to bring focus to their problems.
For E.g. - Scotland recently made sanitary products free recognizing the fact that they are not a luxury but a basic need. If we want that these types of issues are taken up in our country then we need to have women in our parliaments.
3. We have had just 1 female Prime Minister and 1 female President in the last 74 years of our Independence.
Now coming to the bill,
1. It is supported by both the BJP and the Congress. (The ruling Party and the largest Opposition Party)
2. It has been brought to the parliament several times (in the year 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008 and finally in 2010) but it never became a law.
Sign the petition, do your bit.
We Want Women Reservation !