Increased Security @ Bayside Coronado
Increased Security @ Bayside Coronado
Why this petition matters
Hello Bayside Neighbors,
Many of us have started to share the increased crime incidents on the property which includes non-residents jumping the fence, motorcycle vandalism, car break-ins, apartment break-ins, package theft, people walking halls checking for unlocked doors/under door mats for keys, stalking, and the most recent shocking incidents - a resident being "jumped" on the tennis courts, another being tased getting out of his car, and someone drilling through the deadbolt of an apartment door in the middle of the day. It is escalating, along with our rent, yet the property has scaled back security since the new management/owners took over. Apparently they only pay for security from 5pm-2am? When asking our property management why they haven't addressed this in a memo to tenants their response was "we don't want to alarm people". This means we are likely unaware of 90% of the incidents that are going on if we are only learning about this by word-of-mouth between neighbors or the FB group which many residents don't even follow.
We are going to send an official notice to the property management director and the owners in NYC insist on the following:
- Full Transparency: To ensure we are taking steps to ensure our own security, we expect to receive a monthly security incident report memo so we are aware of the vulnerabilities and can take necessary precaution. It is negligent to hide this from residents and by intentionally not sharing these risks with us, otherwise they could be held liable.
- Increased Security 24/7: Security patrol MUST be enhanced. We need more visible security patrol walking the grounds and parking with flashlights. Clearly the perpetrators are learning we are an easy target with nearly non-existent patrol and no cameras and it's likely we are getting hit by the same offenders who keep coming back which means it will only get worse unless there is a visible change in patrol. The recent incidents above were at 10am, 4pm, 8pm. Apparently our property security is only on patrol from 5pm-2am?
- New FOB Security: Add FOB access to get into the stairwells and elevators. Most buildings have this anyway, and while it might be a slight inconvenience for us, it could be an added deterrent. (Or a similar security solution to cut down on people being able to wander freely up to our apartment doors)
- Ground Floor Cameras: At a minimum, we should have a camera each building's point of entry where people either go to the stairs, elevators, or down the ground floor hall. Even if they don't want to pay for a private security system, CCTV at a minimum so law enforcement can identify repeat offenders.
- Elevator and Stairwell Cameras: We should have cameras pointing at face-identifying-level within the stairwell ground floor and in the elevators. This will be a great help for law enforcement identifying and deterring anyone accessing upper floors.
- Coronado Police Patrol @ Night: When reporting recent car break-ins to the Coronado Police Department, they said they calls about crime from our property weekly. We are going to ask that they drive-through our parking lots with their lights on in the evening for the next 30 days to see if we can deter repeat offenders.
Please sign and share your own incidents (and approximate month) so we can compile a list to reinforce why these demands are necessary for the owners/management to install. Please also share this via text/email/word of mouth with your fellow neighbors who may not follow the FB resident group - there's power in numbers! (The last letter campaign about bicycles on balcony restrictions was lifted after making a reasonable and legal complaint).