BE INFORMED! Support Better Cell Service in Shady Side
This petition had 151 supporters
BE INFORMED! – The real facts about the proposed cell tower:
Would you approve of a cell tower that will bring us better service and reception down here in Shady Side? Milestone Corp. and the Board of Education are proposing to install a tower in the back woods behind Shady Side Elementary School. This tower will not only improve our cell service and 911 service by taking some of the load off of other towers, it will also bring much needed money into not only AA county schools, but into Shady Side Elementary as well.
The opponents of the tower have been very vocal in trying to persuade people to vote against it. Unfortunately, a lot of the information they are putting out there to the public and on their petitions is NOT TRUE.
For those of you that are being misinformed or are just undecided here are the real facts about the cell tower.
· The tower will NOT be put on the playground. It is going to be back in a wooded area behind the school grounds.
· It will NOT disrupt parking or pick-up at the school. The entry will be on Idlewilde Road away from the school and not even in the same vicinity as the school’s parking lot.
· It will NOT cause a steady flow of possible sex offenders to be walking by the children at recess. They will be entering the tower, if needed, from Idlewilde Road far from the playground.
And most importantly, since the opponent’s main objection is the alleged health effects:
· The American Cancer Society says cell phone towers are not known to cause any health effects. It says you can expect more harm from personal cell phone usage than from living/working/playing near a cell tower because the amount of exposure from living near a cell phone tower is typically many times lower than the exposure from using a cell phone.
· They found no link between a mother’s exposure to the towers during pregnancy (based on the distance from the home to the nearest tower and on the amount of energy given off by nearby towers) and the risk of early childhood cancer.
· At this time, there is very little evidence to support the idea that cell phone towers cause cancer. In theory, there are some important points that would argue against cellular phone towers being able to cause cancer.
· The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has said this about cell phone towers near homes or schools: “Radiofrequency emissions from antennas used for cellular and PCS [personal communications service] transmissions result in exposure levels on the ground that are typically thousands of times below safety limits. These safety limits were adopted by the FCC based on the recommendations of expert organizations and endorsed by agencies of the Federal Government responsible for health and safety. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that such towers could constitute a potential health hazard to nearby residents or students.”
If you support the tower and better cell reception, please sign this petition and pass it on to anyone you know that will sign it as well.
Today: Shady Side is counting on you
Shady Side Citizens needs your help with “In Favor of Shady Side Elementary Cell Tower: BE INFORMED! Support Better Cell Service in Shady Side”. Join Shady Side and 150 supporters today.