Make Muncie Safer! Demand a Public Meeting on Exide's Permit to Pollute in Muncie!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Exide Technologies has filed an application with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management to renew their Operating Permit at their plant located at 2601 West Mt. Pleasant Blvd. in Muncie.
Please join with your friends, neighbors and residents in SIGNING this PETITION requesting a public meeting on Exide’s proposed permit and emissions in Muncie. It will only take a minute or less of your time.
We are residents, neighbors & merchants concerned about Exide’s long history of excessive pollution, violations and fines in Muncie. Since 1989, Exide has released 227,275 pounds of toxic pollutants- including dangerous lead, sulfuric acid and arsenic- into the air and water in Muncie.
If approved, this Operating Permit will allow Exide to continue to emit 474.5 tons (949,000 pounds) of toxic pollutants in Muncie PER YEAR, including 4.86 tons (9,720 pounds) of lead. This will negatively impact local homes, businesses, residents' health, our environment and wildlife.
We deserve to know more about this important public health and safety issue, including:
- The negative impacts these emissions have on surrounding homes and residents’ health and safety?
- Are any soil tests or impact studies on Exide’s emissions going to be required?
- What regulations and air and water monitoring technology and controls will be in place to protect Muncie residents from these toxic emissions?
- Can new or additional monitoring and safety devices be required like the WESP filtration device Exide’s competitor RSR has in their Indianapolis plant to reduce harmful emissions?
- How often will the plant be inspected to ensure compliance (right now Exide only self-reports once every three years!)?
- What measures and penalties are in place should Exide- as has occurred several times at their Muncie plant- exceed emissions or be found in non-compliance?
These questions and more are why we must demand a public meeting on this issue from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Unfortunately, we only have until July 21st to request a public meeting which is when public comment on the operating permit closes. Unless a meeting is requested, the permit will likely be approved and we will not be able to do anything to stop it...or learn more.
You can also send an email by July 21st to Tamara Havics at THavics@idem.IN.gov to express your concerns and request a public meeting; refer to permit number T035-37825-00028 in your correspondence.
We deserve to learn more about Exide’s permit and how we can better Protect Muncie given that Exide has one of the worst public health and environmental safety records of any company in the U.S. and have been subject to millions of dollars in fines and criminal charges in several communities- including in Muncie!
For more information, or to get involved, email ProtectMuncie@gmail.com
Today: Protect Muncie is counting on you
Protect Muncie needs your help with “IN Dept. of Environmental Management: Hold a Public Meeting on Exide's Permit and Plans to Pollute in Muncie”. Join Protect Muncie and 115 supporters today.