Improvement of services for People with Developmental and Physical Disabilities...
This petition had 865 supporters
Issues our families are dealing with on a daily basis include:
· A serious lack of services for individuals with special needs who require care for the basic necessities of daily living.
· Long wait lists for quality programs throughout Halton for persons with special needs after they graduate from high school.
· Lack of funding to support the many needs of these individuals.
· Questionable value of Disability Services Ontario (D.S.O.) assessment results. Based on a complex algorithm that can often miss the mark on the actual support a specific individual may need.
· Long wait lists, sometimes upwards of 10 years or more, for Passport funding (which is available after the age of 18 when Special Services at Home ends). Such wait times often leave families financially strapped as they are forced to supply basic needs for their loved ones.
· Employment standards are not being fully implemented or supported by employers.
· Wheelchair buses that do not cross city boundaries even though they are within the same region. The lack of availability means less access to programs outside an individual’s community. It is also of great concern as there are shortages of buses and wheelchair taxis already, particularly for same day service.
Adding insult to injury is the recent introduction of Bill 148, which will result in families being further challenged with services and supports. This bill will cause a downward spiral in daily living for this vulnerable population and their families, leading to an increase in mental health issues due to further social isolation.
Today: Connected Families is counting on you
Connected Families needs your help with “Improvement of services for People with Developmental and Physical Disabilities”. Join Connected Families and 864 supporters today.