Deny Federal Funding for Proposed Railroad Project in Glenview, Lake Forest and Deerfield
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
NO THIRD RAIL
A multi-community grassroots campaign called Citizens for ACTION: Alliance to Control Train Impacts on Our Neighborhoods has been formed to stop the proposed third holding siding tracks for freight trains that will impact the Quality of Life in Bannockburn, Deerfield, Glenview, Lake Forest and Northbrook.
As you read through and prepare to sign this petition, we also ask that you visit our most recent petition as well and sign. Please visit:https://www.change.org/p/bruce-rauner-we-demand-a-freight-impact-study-and-public-comment-period?recruiter=237854571&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
Although its current passenger trains on this line are occupied at less than 40%, Amtrak has requested to make three more round trips (currently 7 round trips) on its Hiawatha Service from Milwaukee to Chicago. In order to accommodate this increase in service on an already congested shared track, the freight companies are demanding major infrastructure accommodations that would allow for increased freight traffic and the construction of siding tracks to hold idling freight trains adjacent to homes, schools, businesses, nature preserves and doctor’s offices. WisDOT and IDOT are recommending projects that include a two-mile long freight train holding track in the Village of Glenview and a three-mile holding track in Lake Forest. The FRA would fund 80% of this projected $150-200M project and the remainder funded by WisDOT and IDOT.
Impacts on Our Communities:
· Additional tracks and switching configurations to facilitate the creation of parking/holding areas for freight trains of 100 cars (2 miles long). In Glenview, it would start at West Lake Avenue and continue to the Shermer/Willow Road bridges. In Lake Forest, it would start near the Telegraph Rd Station and continue north to Rt 176.
· The construction of a third rail would increase capacity for hazmat freight traffic along the entire corridor and create a “train yard” in our communities where trains could idle for an indefinite amount of time very near homes, schools and business impacting countless adults and children.
· The increase in Amtrak and freight train traffic from this proposal would mean longer at-grade crossings, more traffic tie-ups and an inability of first responders to efficiently reach some destinations.
· The installation of track switches and universal crossovers on a shared track will create excessive noise and increase the potential for collision and derailments.
· Polluted air quality from carcinogenic idling diesel fumes.
· Contaminated eco-systems and wetlands from leaking chemical cargo.
· Health impacts of excessive noise.
· Damage to property from vibrations.
· Reduced property values.
· Effects on students in nearby schools.
· Effects on nearby businesses.
· Safety concerns about hazmat cargo in unsafe cars (over 90% of the tank cars are still the unsafe DOT-III models).
· Limited accessibility in evacuation zones in the event of a train derailment, hazardous chemical spill or explosion.
· Deterioration of Quality of Life.
· Construction impacts exacerbating all of the negative consequences of the Third Rail proposal.
What You Can Do To Stop the Third Rail From Irreversible Damage to our Communities…
Use your voice to influence this political decision by contacting your elected officials in the links below
**Please note: A Legislative Forum is tentatively set for March 12, 2018 at the Glenbrook South HIghschool located at 4000 West Lake Avenue, Glenview, IL. 60026 at 7:00 pm. Details will be updated as they become available.
Today: Gary is counting on you
Gary Dubofsky needs your help with “Illinois State House: Deny Federal Funding for Proposed Railroad Project in Glenview, Lake Forest and Deerfield: NO THIRD RAIL”. Join Gary and 3,043 supporters today.