South Yorkshire Mayoral Labour Shortlist Petition
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
We, the undersigned, urgently request that the Labour Party:
· Reviews its decision to deny the South Yorkshire membership from having our say on whether Richard Caborn could represent our party as candidate for Sheffield City Region Mayor; and
· Revisits the procedures that came to this decision, so that lessons are learned and changes made to future selections, to ensure that the highest principles of fairness and democracy are upheld. This should include greater levels of transparency, better local representation and a basic right of appeal.
We especially ask for the following points to be considered:
· The majority of the Panel Members were not from South Yorkshire and therefore un-representative of our community and lacked the expected degree of local knowledge;
· Reducing a long list of three to a short list of two denies South Yorkshire Labour Party members a real choice of candidate;
· There is no appeal process, which we believe is undemocratic, unfair and non-transparent; and
· There was no written job description for the position of Labour Party Mayoral candidate, which is not only unacceptable, but demonstrates a complete lack of clarity and organisation for this selection process, producing decisions based on subjective opinions, rather than objective facts.
Today: Deborah is counting on you
Deborah Woodhouse needs your help with “Iain McNicol, General Secretary of the Labour Party: South Yorkshire Mayoral Labour Shortlist Petition”. Join Deborah and 126 supporters today.