The Human Rights Campaign’s Mission Statement: "By inspiring and engaging all Americans, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBT citizens and realize a nation that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all." We, the LGBTQ people and allies who HRC purports to represent, believe the selection of Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein as the first “national corporate spokesman for same-sex marriage” and recipient of the HRC Workplace for Equality Innovation Award is not in line with this mission, nor in the best interest of HRC’s constituency and our community’s supporters.
A few facts about Mr. Blankfein and Goldman:
1. Mr. Blankfein admitted to stealing money, lots of money, from Goldman Sachs customers.
2. Workers in many states are currently suing Goldman Sachs for stealing their pensions.
3. A U.S. Senate subcommittee has recommended perjury charges be filed against Mr. Blankfein himself.
4. The same subcommittee laid “much of the blame” for the financial crisis on Goldman Sachs and other firms that sold securities.
4. In 2007, the worst year of the financial crisis, Mr. Blankfein took home $53 million in compensation.
HRC’s decision to elevate Mr. Balnkfein to the stature of “true advocate for equality and fairness” ignores his record and self-admitted crimes against humanity. While HRC may be out of touch and unconcerned with the financial crisis, its constituents and supporters are all too familiar, enduring daily the tremendous consequences of his leadership. A strong sense of integrity and justice must rise above a single issue, and empower us to do better and be better. Elevating this man to absolve him of his past is neither just nor right. A marriage equality victory must be the result of justice, not ignoring injustice.
As constituents and LGBTQ supporters, we ask HRC to stand with us, to stand against the exploitation of the less fortunate, and stand for those suffering at the hands of criminals. We urge HRC to make decisions that support their mission statement of “equality and fairness for all.” Officially, we sincerely request that HRC rescind their Workplace for Equality Innovation Award and revoke Mr. Balnkfein’s title as “national spokesperson for same-sex marriage.”