HCPSS Redistricting: Protect Allview/MacGill's Common areas from Community Exclusion
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
The parents, on behalf of their children in Polygons 56, 57, 1056, 1057, 2056, 2057 and 3056 submit the following petition:
The above polygons attend the same elementary school (Atholton), and after elementary school split into two separate middle and high schools – Hammond Middle and High (polygons 57 1057, 2057) and Oakland Mills Middle and High (polygons 56, 1056, 2056, 3056).
The most current proposed redistricting plan (as of August 8, 2017) combines these polygons into one continuous group feeding into Lake Elkhorn middle school and Wilde Lake high school. For the following reasons, the redistricting to Lake Elkhorn and Wilde Lake are opposed:
Middle School Comments
- The proposed redistricting plan is in direct opposition to the purpose of balancing school capacities with enrollments. The AAC stated in its introductory Power Point on 6/23/17 that in its plan it sought to maintain building utilization in the range from 90% to 100%.
- The AAC plan proposes to remove polygons 57, 1057 and 2057 from Hammond MS (leaving it the second most underutilized MS in 2018 at 84.6% capacity) and instead send them to a MS at 109% capacity (Lake Elkhorn). It appears that this was done to create a 16% feed from this “island” to go to the proposed feeder schools. Without the minutes from the AAC meetings, we do not understand the clear reasoning of why we would be grouped in this manner and sent to a school that was more crowded than we were slated to go to.
- Regarding community- moving polygons 57, 1057 and 2057 away from MacGills/Dickenson Community is very disruptive to children’s stability and friendships. The small feed of families moving into Lake Elkhorn middle school, doesn’t help alleviate the trauma felt by children being separated from the community that they live and socialize within the villages created by the Columbia City. This especially doesn’t make sense since the school they are being moved into is overcrowded and the school they are being moved away from is underutilized and will remain underutilized.
- According to the 2017 Feasibility Study, polygons 56, 1056, 2056, and 3056 contribute a mere 49 students to the public school system, making up only 10.7% of the projected 2017 student population of Atholton ES. The Allview and Donleigh neighborhoods which comprise these polygons are within the walk zone of Atholton ES, yet the children of these polygons do not get to carry on with the educational and community identity that our neighborhoods work so hard to build. Neither of the proposed redistricting plans presented thus far corrects this issue.
- Regarding community- moving polygons 56, 1056, 2056 and 3056 would destroy our children’s sense of stability by moving us twice -- at the middle school and high school levels, and both with relatively small feeds. The plan would destroy the sense of community by shifting students out of Oakland Mills MS to Lake Elkhorn MS and then in High School from Oakland Mills HS to Wilde Lake HS.
High School Redistricting:
- All the above polygons are now slated in AAC’s plan to go to Wilde Lake High School. According to the AAC plan Wilde Lake HS will be at 110 – 115% capacity while they are there.
- While it is not desired to be redistricted at all, the Feasibility Redistricting Plan where students in the 57, 1057 and 2057 would be placed at Atholton is more practical. Wilde Lake HS is twice the distance away from the community than Atholton High School. Atholton HS is twice the distance from the community as Hammond HS, Sending the students to Wilde Lake will increase transportation costs, to send a student to a seriously overcrowded HS (nearly twice the distance from community), increases fuel costs, and prohibits students from being able to take advantage of after school study groups or school sponsored extra curriculars.
- For polygons 56, 1056, 2056, and 3056, Wilde Lake High School is the 4th closest High School. Sending the students to Wilde Lake will increase transportation costs, to send a student to a seriously overcrowded HS (nearly twice the distance from community), increases fuel costs, and prohibits students from being able to take advantage of after school study groups or school sponsored extra curriculars.
- Our polygon community becomes an island to the Wilde Lake community if the students are redistricted there.
- Although Hammond HS, Atholton HS, Wilde Lake HS, and Oakland Mills HS are all projected to be over capacity after the redistricting, according to the AAC’s plan Wilde Lake HS is anticipated to be at 110-115% capacity. This is based on the AAC’s figures which cite zero enrollment for Polygon 4136 – which is also slated to attend Wilde Lake HS. Polygon 4136 is adjacent to the Mall – it includes all those new condo developments next to the Mall. It is impractical to believe that there will be zero children from that Polygon attending school (because the AAC’s numbers estimate not a single student feeding into Wilde Lake HS from that entire Polygon.) If the AAC’s estimate of “zero” is an underestimate here that will worsen the overcrowding at Wilde Lake HS even more.
- Based on the data above, polygons 57, 1057 and 2057 would like to remain unchanged from the models presented and attend Atholton ES, Hammond MS and Hammond HS. Understanding there are needs of utilization from the models presented by the 2017 Feasibility Study, the preference of these polygons is to follow the recommendations of that study and go to Atholton ES, Hammond MS and Atholton HS.
- Based on the data above, polygons 56, 1056, 2056 and 3056 should be excluded from the current redistricting models. Understanding the utilization needs presented in the 2017 Feasibility study, the preference of these polygons is to attend Atholton ES, Oakland Mills MS over Lake Elkhorn MS and Atholton HS over Wilder Lake HS.
Thank you for your consideration.
Today: Ilana is counting on you
Ilana Sambuco Paul needs your help with “Howard County Board of : HCPSS Redistricting: Protect Allview/MacGill's Common areas from Community Exclusion”. Join Ilana and 328 supporters today.