Build a skatepark for Erin, TN
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
With the closure of the Houston County Youth Center, our youth, young adults, and families need a place where they can enjoy the outdoors with their skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, and anything else to keep them fit and moving while in a safe environment. Skating is going to happen with or without a park and right now the entire city/county is a skatepark. From the town square, to Betsy Ligon park pavilion, to the street in front of the library, etc. and I could go on. However, by providing a safe environment for the skating community, both the city/county and youth/adults will see many benefits. A skatepark:
- Provides a safe place to recreate for those not interested in traditional sports. (Not all kids and young adults want to play football, basketball, or tennis.)
- Saves the city/county time and money from repairing any property damage and reduces the calls made to police responding to concerns of skaters.
- Provides an opportunity for the city/county to use the park for community events (i.e. learn to skate programs, fundraisers, etc.)
- Provides an “after school” outlet for ALL youth to socialize or participate at the park similar to the Youth Center but without the cost of personnel.
- Builds mentorship amongst the skater community for both adults and youth.
- Attracts tourists and drives local business. (When visitors go to other skateparks to check them out, local businesses get the money from eating, local shopping, etc..)
- Provides an opportunity for a family activity. Skating is not simply a youth activity but a family activity.
- Attracts more youth to experiment, learn, and try to pick up the popular sport.
- Reduces the potential for injuries on the streets/sidewalks with pedestrians and vehicles because they have a safe environment.
- A healthy alternative to sitting at home watching TV or playing video games.
- If well-built, a skatepark can be self-sustaining and require very minimal maintenance.
- Skaters take pride in their park. They will help monitor for any malicious activity as well as cleaning up trash in and around the park.
I sincerely hope that you will consider building a skatepark for our community so that we can promote a healthier future for all of our youth, young adults, and families! Thank you for your time, consideration, and support!!!
Today: Tony is counting on you
Tony Rowlson needs your help with “Houston County Skate Park Committee: Build a skatepark for Houston County (Erin & Tennessee Ridge, TN)”. Join Tony and 144 supporters today.