Hon. Catherine Nolan Co-Sponsor A5851
This petition had 32 supporters
Hon. Catherine Nolan
47-40 21 Street Room 810
Long Island City, NY 11101
Constituent Letter Requesting Co-Sponsorship of NYS Assembly Bill A5851
This letter is presented to you to call on you for your support and co-sponsorship of Assembly Bill A5851, or the Racial Equity Bill. Since 1984, you have served our communities diligently and honorably in the State Capitol and we now ask that you listen again to the deep needs of your constituents. As you know, District 37 is composed of 47,000 Hispanic residents, 11,000 African-American residents, and about 14,500 Asian-American residents. We are people of color, immigrants, students, employees, employers, and families. We represent many countries, languages, ethnicities, and regions of the world. We are one of the most diverse assembly districts in New York State and this places us in the best opportunity to model what true equity looks like.
NYS Assembly bill A5851, chief sponsored by Assemblyman Luis Sepulveda, would seek to do the following things:
· Create a racial equity committee in the New York State Assembly, which would conduct a racial equity impact assessment on all legislation proposed favorably in the chamber.
· The committee will identify state policies and actions that, in conjunction with public and private partners, can work to achieve conditions of racial equity.
· Review and make recommendations to align state statutes, regulations, programs, services and budgetary priorities.
· Search for any interdepartmental gaps, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies in the implementation or attainment of the state policies and actions.
· Identify any new laws, regulations, programs, services, and budgetary priorities that are needed to ensure and promote desired conditions of racial equity.
· Serve as an informational resource for the New York State Assembly.
By insisting that the NYS Assembly assess legislation for potential negative impact on communities of color, New York will serve as a true leader and defender of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We urge you to co-sponsor this crucial bill. During these tumultuous times, it could turn the tide. Please commit to co-sponsoring this bill. Thank you for your continued leadership.
For more information on this bill please visit: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/a5851/amendment/original
Today: Brian is counting on you
Brian Romero needs your help with “Hon. Catherine Nolan Co-Sponsor A5851”. Join Brian and 31 supporters today.