Hobsons Bay: declare a climate emergency
This petition made change with 1,091 supporters!
We ask our Councillors to declare a climate emergency with the following actions:
- Declare that we are in a state of CLIMATE EMERGENCY that requires urgent action by all levels of government, including local councils.
- Immediately review the Hobsons Bay City Council Council Plan, Greenhouse and Climate Change Adaptation strategies and plans to respond to the CLIMATE EMERGENCY, to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, contribute a fair share to the drawing down the excess carbon in the atmosphere, and respond STRONGLY to the impacts of climate change.
- Encourage other governments to declare a CLIMATE EMERGENCY.
We need a declaration of climate emergency because:
- Climate Change is already impacting us and our environment in Hobsons Bay
- Globally, climate impacts are causing serious loss of life and destroying vital ecosystems
- Global average temperature, atmospheric greenhouse gases, and ocean acidity are at dangerous levels
- The world's scientists have told us that we only have 12 years to act to keep global temperature increases below 1.5 degrees Celsius.
The need to for urgent action is clear. This is an emergency. It is inexcusable to continue with climate-damaging policies that put us all in even greater peril. The Paris Agreement’s 1.5°C goal is not a safe goal.
We can do this.
Our society has risen to big challenges in the past when an emergency has been declared, with everyone and all sides of politics rising to the occasion and working together for the common good. We have all the resources and ability to overcome the climate emergency, we are only lacking two things:
- political will and
- the number of people to change that political will.
We can start here to make change happen.
Please sign the petition and help create and drive the solutions for our future.
Today: Transition Hobsons Bay is counting on you
Transition Hobsons Bay needs your help with “Hobsons Bay City Council: declare a climate emergency”. Join Transition Hobsons Bay and 1,090 supporters today.