Acme Comedy Co. must stay in Minneapolis! Protect the charm & character of the North Loop!
We, the Citizens, Residents, Business Owners, and Patrons of North Loop, located in the Minneapolis St. Anthony Falls Historic District, petition the City of Minneapolis to deny and refuse the current proposed development of 721 First Street North Apartments, as submitted by Curt Gunsbury, owner of Solhem Companies.
Although we are not opposed to development and increased density, we feel that the current, proposed plan for the surface lot at 713 First Street North is NOT the right proposal for us.
The current plan will adversely affect the North Loop Neighborhood and its local businesses in the following ways:
- Acme Comedy Club and other neighborhood businesses that positively impact the character and culture of the North Loop (and Minneapolis) will be forced to consider closing or relocating out of the neighborhood to a property that better serves the commercial necessity of parking.
- Neighborhood residents who support and rely on businesses that utilize the 721 lot will be commercially underserved when businesses are forced to close or relocate.
- The resident, commercial mix of the neighborhood is threatened drastically as residential development forces existing businesses out, and prohibits new businesses from replacing them.
- Businesses will have limited visibility and appeal due to the size and scope of the project.
- As the current plans are void of any additional specifically-designated commercial space, there will no room for additional business growth; business begets more business.
- The short-term effects of an increase in tax base for the City of Minneapolis will be significantly out-shadowed by long-term consequences to the erosion of our current, beloved and successful neighborhood character, which is dependent on its mixed-use designation.
I oppose the development of 721 North First Street Apartments.
I demand that the City Planning Commission deny all conditional use permits and variances submitted by Curt Gunsbury for the development of 713 N 1st St.
I demand that the City of Minneapolis reject the development of the 713 N 1st St parking lot by refusing to approve the development of 721 First Street North Apartments.
Today: Matt is counting on you
Matt Janzen needs your help with “Hillary Dvorak: Preserve the character and integrity of the North Loop and its businesses.”. Join Matt and 5,925 supporters today.