Delay the Highlands School Board Vote for Reconfiguration
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
The Highlands School District could not provide evidence that reconfiguring the district will pull Highlands out of its current financial crisis.
On Monday, May 14th, 2018, the Highlands School Board announced their plan to reconfigure the School District and plans to have a final vote on this reconfiguration on Monday, May 21st, 2018. This plan consists of the following:
- Fairmont Elementary becomes the Early Childhood Center for Pre-K and K
- Fawn Elementary will house Special/Ancillary Programs
- Grandview becomes Highlands Elementary and houses Grades 1-4 (Adding another grade level-8 additional classes to this current school.)
- Middle School becomes Grades 5-8 (Adding another grade level-8 additional classes to this school.)
- High School stays the same.
Restructuring the district and consolidating buildings is a big undertaking that deserves more consideration of details and public input. Finite numbers on cost savings are necessary as are details on how the district plans to add 8 additional classrooms in two buildings that don't currently have space for these classrooms.
Additionally, we request that the superintendent consider alternative solutions to consolidation and put together other possible solutions.
We petition the School Board to table the vote until the School Board has a feasibility study that evaluates alternatives based on economic, technological, legal and scheduling factors to make an educated decision.
Today: Jim is counting on you
Jim Powell needs your help with “Highlands School Board: Delay the Highlands School Board Vote for Reconfiguration”. Join Jim and 1,098 supporters today.