Local Government: Stop the Termination of the 327 Bus Route
This petition made change with 584 supporters!
Help us save the 327! Public transport in Sydney’s CBD will undergo dramatic changes at the start of October, as the NSW government will start construction work for a new light rail line down George Street. Bus routes into the city will change with the bus lanes down George Street closed from Sunday, October 4.
Due to these changes, the 327 bus route from Bondi Junction to the City is being cancelled, along with other routes such as the 323 and 326. The changes to the 327 are as follows:
- The 327 will run only from Bondi Junction to Edgecliff
- A 328 bus will replace the 327 in Darling Point and run in a loop in one direction to Edgecliff
The impacts of this dramatic change are overwhelmingly negative. Some of these include:
- Edgecliff station does not cater for the disabled or families with prams as there are no lifts or ramps. This is especially problematic considering how many more people will be forced to use the station. NSW Transport actually suggests that “Customers on route 327 requiring accessible services are encouraged to travel towards Bondi Junction and transfer to other bus routes for travel to the city, or train services”. This would make it extremely inconvenient for those requiring ramps or lifts living in Darling Point who will be travelling much further away from their destination by going to Bondi Junction.
- Those who will have to change for another bus instead of a train could be heavily delayed. Once buses reach Edgecliff, they are often completely full and therefore unable to pick up more passengers.
- The new 328 will travel in a loop in one direction. Those living in Darling Point and wanting to travel within the suburb will spend an excessive amount of time on the bus that will be going to Edgecliff.
In light of these substantial consequences, we propose three different solutions:
- Let the 327 go from Bondi Junction to Elizabeth St through Darling Point. This would ensure those who are disabled or are with a pram are catered for and would eliminate the high risk of delays while waiting for a bus at Edgecliff interchange.
- Let the 327 go from Bondi Junction to Kings Cross through Darling Point. This again would cater for the disabled or families with prams wishing to go to the city with minimal inconvenience, as Kings Cross train station has lifts. It would also mean that those who intend to get off near William St can do so without heavy delays.
- Let the 328 travel in both directions through Darling Point, allowing those wanting to travel within the suburb a more convenient, shorter trip.
This bus is important to many local communities in the Eastern Suburbs, as it is the only bus route that goes through Bellevue Hill, Woollahra, Darling Point and Rushcutters Bay on its way to the city. The majority of the population in these areas are young families and the elderly. These demographic and geographic factors mean that many people rely on this form of transport to get to school, work or just to a main road.
We are a group of high school girls who launched this petition to save our local bus route! Being members of several of these local communities, we believe this is a futile and inconvenient decision that will disadvantage many people, especially the disabled. We hope that the support shown by the community will help the government to reconsider.
Sign if you believe in this cause, 327 bus rider or not!
Please note that the signature 'goal' is not meant to signify how many supporters are needed to deem the petition a success: It is simply added as a milestone to help engage and energize the support! Our personal goal is at least 500 signatures!
Today: Lucia is counting on you
Lucia Droga needs your help with “Help Us Save the 327”. Join Lucia and 583 supporters today.