Implement National Registration of Paramedics
This petition is in response to and directed to the Health Workforce Principal Committee consultation to explore options for the regulation of Australian paramedics. This committee will report to the Standing Council on Health, a Ministerial Council made up of State, Territory and Commonwealth Health Ministers.
It is the view of paramedics that the only option available in current consultations that will adequately protect the public from the risk of injury or harm is option 4, the implementation of national registration of paramedics within the currently existing National Scheme, administered by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Such national registration would:
• Ensure restriction of the title ‘paramedic’ to those qualified to use it
• Establish a national standard of education and accreditation to ensure that all Australians receive the same standard of care from their paramedics
• Establish a national, independent regulatory body to investigate and uphold professional standards of conduct and competency to practice
• Ensure a more transparent and standardised method of reporting complaints and sentinel events
• Prevent unqualified or unsuitable persons from operating as paramedics in any setting
• Allow for a more flexible and responsive paramedic workforce that is not burdened by inconsistent regulatory and practicing requirements
The other options proposed would not adequately protect the health and safety of the public and all aspects that contribute to this.
We the undersigned, urge Australia’s Health Ministers to consider the importance of such and issue and implement national registration for paramedics. This will ensure the continuation of high quality care and protection of the community by our paramedics, now and into the future.
Today: Australian College of Ambulance Professionals NSW is counting on you
Australian College of Ambulance Professionals NSW needs your help with “Health Workforce Principal Committee: Implement National Registration of Paramedics”. Join Australian College of Ambulance Professionals NSW and 1,786 supporters today.