Save Sheppard-Myers Impounding Dam

This petition made change with 995 supporters!

Sheppard-Myers Impounding Dam was built in 1932 to help supply Hanover with water during a terrible drought. Clinton Myers used his own farm land to build the 46 ½ acre reservoir. Later, in 1964, Lawrence Baker Sheppard Dam, or Long Arm Dam, would be built as Sheppard-Myers could no longer fully supply the area with water. Today, Sheppard-Myers provides the area with about 20% of it’s water, while Long Arm makes up the other 80%. There has been an ongoing debate in the Borough Council regarding keeping, repairing, and maintaining Sheppard-Myers dam, or to breach it. To bring the dam up to code, it is an estimated four to seven million dollars, which is a big con for the matter. On the other hand, tearing down the dam would mean finding another source of water for our residents, losing a once great fishery which could still come back, and loss of a water source for the area’s wildlife. With enough signatures, we may be able to convince the Borough Council to approve the repairs and save our beloved Sheppard-Myers Dam!

Today: Blake is counting on you

Blake Stevens needs your help with “Hanover Borough Council : Save Sheppard-Myers Impounding Dam”. Join Blake and 994 supporters today.