Do NOT renew Chief De Caire's contract!
This petition made change with 201 supporters!
1) On his watch, Hamilton police have disproportionately stopped and carded black Hamiltonians three to four times as often as white Hamiltonians and aboriginal Hamiltonians one and half times more often than white Hamiltonians. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/carding-in-hamilton-5-things-we-learned-1.3166501
2) De Caire disagrees with the province's draft regulations to regulate carding http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5974464-province-says-it-will-make-carding-by-police-illegal/ and refused to go along with Mayor Eisenberger's unanimously-passed resolution only to stop Hamiltonians for “a clear policing purpose.” http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-police-board-limits-carding-to-clear-policing-purpose-1.3283965
3) He forwarded an e-mail message to all sworn officers from a member of the public which blamed black people for their problems with police. http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/5832866-dreschel-hamilton-police-chief-de-caire-under-fire-for-murder-email/ When he was criticized for sharing this message, the chief tried to say he didn't necessarily agree with the whole message in the e-mail AND rejected requests to apologize for sending the message out http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/the-de-caire-email-controversy-and-seeing-the-ills-of-racism-1.3228003
4) In a letter to the Minister of Community Safety, De Caire said that he would have his officers stop all black males in a neighbourhood where a shooting involving black men were involved. This is akin to stopping all white males in a neighbourhood if two white people were involved in a similar altercation. The interim head of the Ontario Human Rights Commission chastised De Caire's remark's “a classic case of racial profiling” http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/unjustifiable-human-rights-commission-slams-hamilton-police-on-carding-1.3294576
5) On his watch, De Caire failed to promote a single officer of colour to senior management, despite promising six years ago that he would make such a promotion a priority. There has never been a single officer of colour on the HPS' senior management team. There is not even a single office(r) responsible for racial equity or diversity on that team.
IT'S TIME FOR A NEW CHIEF!
Today: Community Coalition Against Racism is counting on you
Community Coalition Against Racism needs your help with “Hamilton Police Service Board, Lois Morin, Fred Eisenberger, Lloyd Ferguson, Terry Whitehead: Do NOT renew Chief De Caire's contract!”. Join Community Coalition Against Racism and 200 supporters today.