Gulfstream Council: Reject the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy
We, the Scouting community of South Florida urge the Gulfstream Council to reject the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy.
Service organizations including the Girl Scouts, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and the 4H Club all welcome gay kids and adult leaders. Also, the American Medical Association has opposed the Boy Scouts' anti-gay policy, saying it could cause "psychological trauma" in youth.
We love the Boy Scouts, but we can’t support this policy. That's why we urge you to speak out and adopt an inclusive policy like other troops, packs, councils, and lodges across the country have done -- so the Boy Scouts can maintain its relevancy, improve recruitment, and truly live by the principles it teaches its members.
NOTE: We encourage everyone to join this campaign, but if you're a current or former Scout or leader, please say so in the "Why People Are Signing" section. Thanks!
- Lighthouse District Director
- Assistant District Commissioner -Trade Winds
- Eagle Chair - Trade Winds
- Member at Large - Trade Winds District
- District Chairman - Treasure Coast
- District Commissioner - Treasure Coast
- Membership Chair - Treasure Coast
- Scout Executive/CEO
- Assistant Scout Executive
- Council President
- Preston Fields
- Kurt Jansen
- District Chairman
- William Carlson
- District commissioner
- District Commissioner - Trade Winds
- District Chairman - Trade Winds
- District Commissioner - Sailfish
- Multi-Cultural Program Assistant
- Big Lake District Executive
- Trade Winds Executive
- Dana Schwartz
- Mandy Frantz
- District Chairman
- District Commissioner
- Youth Development/Eagle Chair - Indian River
- District Commissioner - Lighthouse
- Youth Development - Lighthouse
- Eagle Chair - Lighthouse
- Public Relations - Lighthouse District
- Commissioner for Okeechobee
- District Chairman - Sailfish
- Treasure Coast District Executive
My name is Gus Beaujardin and I am an Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow who grew up in Palm Beach County. I love scouting and all it did for me. After finding out that the Boy Scouts of America bans scouting youth, parents and leaders, based on sexual orientation I was saddened and devastated that such a great organization contains this discriminatory policy. After careful thought and concern I joined an alumni association working to end discrimination in the BSA known as Scouts for Equality. We are over 6200 Eagle Scouts working together towards supporting the BSA in its move toward inclusion.
It is my hope that the Council will read through this petition as it contains many voices of the local scouting community concerned for the well-being of one of the greatest organizations in the world. Please do not support this policy any longer. We urge the Gulfstream Council to join the 18 other councils that have publicly supported inclusivness and rejected the anti-gay policy. From the words of Baden Powell, “The spirit is there in every boy; it has to be discovered and brought to light.” Let's do what's right, and give every boy and leader the opportunity to participate in the Boy Scouts of America regardless of their sexual orientation.
Today: Gus is counting on you
Gus Beaujardin needs your help with “Gulfstream Council: Reject the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy”. Join Gus and 528 supporters today.