Green Roofs on New York City Public Schools!
This petition had 389 supporters
How do you feel about schools being in environmentally burdened communities? Green roofs can help turn schools into centers of sustainability, community health, innovative science and climate education, and a solution to storm water runoff, air pollution, the heat island effect and more. Youth leaders are working to create the future they want. Help by telling New York City Mayor and Schools Chancellor to implement a pilot project by putting a green roof on one school in an environmentally burdened community in each borough.
According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article #25 states, “Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.” By installing green roofs on public schools in NYC, we are taking a step closer in protecting our environment as well as our human rights. There are many benefits of this project.
Installing green roofs on schools will:
● Create a living lab for exciting science experiments and a safe space for students to be outdoors, increasing our mental health while decreasing our stress.
● Cool our school buildings down in the summer, and insulate them in the winter saving money on cooling costs and decrease NYC’s carbon output.
● Retain storm water from the sewage system and prevent sewage from spilling into and polluting our waterways.
● Clean the air, capture pollutants, and filter noxious gases, decreasing asthma rates and other respiratory illnesses.
● Create green jobs through installing and maintaining the roofs.
● Provide healthy food and develop healthy eating habits and provide income if produce is sold.
● Provide a local ecosystem for migratory birds.
Today: Global Kids is counting on you
Global Kids needs your help with “Green Roofs on New York City Public Schools!”. Join Global Kids and 388 supporters today.