Please sign and send this letter, urging PA Governor Rendell and DHS Secretary Napolitano do the right thing for Julio Maldonado and Denis Calderon by providing them the justice they have been denied of for the past 13 years.
Julio and Denis were long time permanent residents and qualified 100% for citizenship until their life was turned upside down. In 1996 they were victims of a racially motivated attack and in a twist of events, instead of the authorities investigating the attack and charging the assailants, Julio and Denis again became victims; this time of a wrongful conviction. There is no question that this was injustice since they have twice proved their innocence in the courts, however because of technicalities, their conviction remains.
Julio and Denis have both been in Federal prison for the past 4 years because they did not sign their deportation papers in 2005. They should not have to live the rest of their life in prison for not wanting to go back to a country they do not know. They should not have to be permanently exiled from their only family (all American citizens), as innocent men.
Their only hope for justice to prevail is a Full Pardon from Pennsylvania Governor Rendell and a Cancellation of Deportation from Department of Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano.
MORE URGENTLY - HELP STOP THE DEPORTATION OF JULIO MALDONADO that has now been scheduled for FRIDAY October 9th
LET GOV. RENDELL, DAVID VENTURELLA & SECTY. NAPOLITANO (DHS) know that this injustice needs to STOP now and that Denis and Julio deserve Justice the American way
1. Call Governor Rendell's office at (717) 787-2500 and ask the governor to ((1)) expedite review of Julio Maldonado Pardon № 23958 request and ((2)) to request that DHS wait for the pardon process to complete
2. Call David Venturella, Acting Director of ICE's Office of Detention and Removal Operation, at (202) 732-3100 to request that DHS allow Julio Maldonado #A30326124 (to stay in the U.S. until his request for a pardon is reviewed by Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell)
3. Call DHS (let's fill their voice mail) at (202) 282-8495 and leave a message to Secretary Napolitano asking her to.... CANCEL the DEPORTATION of Julio Maldonado (A30326124) and Denis Calderon (A37919176) IMMEDIATELY - or - at the minimum provide them with a STAY OF DEPORTATION, DEFERRED ACTION and a RELEASE UNDER AN ORDER OF SUPERVISION until their PARDON petition completes. They are innocent men, victims of hate and injustice. They deserve true AMERICAN JUSTICE.
Read the details here - http://www.DenisAndJulioAndFaith.com
THANK YOU and GOD BLESS
- Governor, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Edward G. Rendell
- Secretary, Department of Homeland Security
I respectfully urge the Pennsylvania Board of Pardons and the Honorable Governor Rendell to grant Julio Maldonado and Denis Calderon a full pardon for the aggravated assault and related charges for which they were wrongfully convicted. Julio and Denis were victims of a racially motivated attack in Philadelphia on August 4th 1996. The attackers were never brought to justice and their involvement in the attack never investigated. Julio and Denis's innocence was proven twice at trial yet they have been incarcerated in federal prison for the last four years for the sole reason of refusing to sign the necessary Peruvian travel documents to process their own deportations.
I also request that Secretary Janet Napolitano review this case and that DHS exercise its discretion to grant a stay of removal or deferred action to these former longtime permanent residents. Julio came to the U.S. at the age of three and became a lawful permanent resident in 1976 (A30326124).Denis came to the U.S. at the age of five and became a lawful permanent resident in 1983 (A37919176). Julio and Denis now face permanent separation from their U.S. citizen family members, including Denis's wife and children, and Julio's mother and fiancee. The only family and life they have ever known is here in America.
I stand with the family of Julio and Denis in the belief that justice in their case can and must finally be reached. To permanently exile Julio and Denis from their loved ones as innocent men represents the worst type of wrongful punishment they could face aside from death.
Thank you for your consideration of my request.
Maria Rolon started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,039 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.