Recently the Florida Senator Bradley and Representative McClure have introduced bills SB1024 and HB741. Our group, Students Fighting for a Future, have been fighting against it for several weeks and are severely disappointed at it’s progress. As proud Floridians we call on Governor DeSantis to prevent the passage of these bills for the following reasons:
1. These bills will remove incentives for Florida property owners to purchase rooftop solar panels during a time when alternative sources of energy are essential to combat the climate crisis.
2. This is blatant government interference that will prevent people from entering the energy market and selling the power they produce at a fair price.
3. These bills restrict our freedom to make our own energy choices.
4. These bills will cost thousands of Floridians their jobs and stifle hundreds of small businesses.
5. These bills will make it difficult for everyday citizens to recover their investment in rooftop solar.
This is a poorly disguised way for big power companies to continue their choke hold on Florida citizens and we refuse to succumb to it. In 2020 power companies showed record earnings while 500,000 Floridians were left powerless and helpless, without AC or light during a pandemic. We will not allow big corporations to take advantage of us. We will not allow our representatives to lie and claim this bill is to help keep power costs down for the poor, when all it will do is ensure that solar is only accessible for the wealthy. We will not let greed disguised as concern be used as an excuse to attack our rights and freedoms.
Solar power is our right, and as Floridians it is the best way for us to combat the global climate crisis facing all of us
With that, we demand that this bill be thrown out immediately.
Signed, the concerned citizens of Florida: