- Governor Kitzhaber
Save Sea Lions at Bonneville Dam
Since the Marine Mammal Protection Act was amended in 2009, Oregon and Washington have been allowed to kill up to 92 sea lions each year at the Bonneville Dam. These delicate creatures have been subjected to daily harassment all for the sake of human greed. These poor mammals just want to eat.
• Harassment to over 300 sea lions includes hazing with rubber bullet and firecracker explosives, branding with hot irons, and/or killing by lethal injection or shot gun, all for the crime of eating
• By May 2012, the body count stood at 37 dead and 11 sea lions put in captivity
• Sea lions take less than 4% of the salmon, but sport, recreational, and tribal fisheries are permitted to take up to 17% of the salmon, and the dam kills 17% in addition
• Salmon and similar fish are the sea lions only source of food and because of overfishing, they are forced to come further up the rivers and face human harassment
• Hundreds of sea lion pups are being left stranded and starving
• Steller sea lions, an endangered species, are subjected to daily hazing and the National Marine Fisheries Act had announced a proposal to 'delist' them as endangered in order to be able to kill them
• Despite human efforts to stop sea lions from eating salmon, the number of sea lions coming to the dam has remained constant
Today: Jessica is counting on you
Jessica Cox needs your help with “Governor Kitzhaber: Save Sea Lions at Bonneville Dam”. Join Jessica and 78,572 supporters today.