Save our local economy. Save our tax base. Secure our future.
In early September, NRG Energy “mothballed” two of four generating units at the company’s Dunkirk, NY generating station because the plant has become uneconomical to run. However, the company has submitted a plan to the New York Energy Highway Task Force, to repower the plant with natural gas. This repowering project represents the best prospect for preserving the station in the long-term, which will:
• Preserve local jobs at the station in the near-term
• Provide up to 500 jobs in Western New York during construction
• Retain more than two dozen long-term jobs after the plant is commissioned
• Help support a stable and predictable tax base in Chautauqua County
and Dunkirk for years to come
• Generate dramatically cleaner energy and improve air quality
• Improve reliability of the regional electric grid by alleviating the
need for many costly transmission upgrades and creating a
best-in-class electricity generation resource for Western New York.
• Increase efficiency by using state-of-the art combined-cycle units
that can ramp up quickly and “load follow” as demand rises and
falls on the system
• Provide support for renewable generation assets such as wind power
The first stage of the project could be completed within a year, and would allow the station to operate on either coal, as currently, or on natural gas, which would likely see the station’s generating units operated more frequently. The second stage would involve building an entirely new, natural-gas fueled, state-of-the-art combined-cycle plant.
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT.
PowerUp Western NY started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,536 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.