Instruct the Arkansas State Police to re-open the investigation into the 1993 murders in West Memphis, Arkansas, of Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore.
This petition made change with 7,328 supporters!
On May 5th, 1993, three children were reported missing by their parents in West Memphis, Arkansas. A search was begun,and the following day (May 6th) the three 8 year old boys were discovered brutally murdered and left in a water filled ditch in the Robin Hood Hills area of West Memphis. The investigation of the murders was begun immediately and seemed to focus on local teenagers. On June 3rd, 3 local boys were arrested and charged with the crime. The circumstances leading up to their arrest, their trials and subsequent convictions were based on witness testimony that has since been retracted, false assumptions and faulty or unprofessional investigative techniques.
- Evidence collected at the discovery site did not match the defendants, particularly DNA evidence.
- Evidence was suggested in the prosecutions closing argument that was never presented for examination at trial.
- Statements calling into question the credibility of prosecution witnesses was never allowed.
- The presiding judge made prejudicial comments in front of the jury during their deliberations.
- There is an affidavit from a prominent attorney stating that a member of the jury had improper contact with outside parties, and may have introduced disallowed statements into jury deliberations.
- There are persons of interest who were never properly questioned or subjected to investigative polygraph examinations.
- A door to door interview of homes in the neighborhood was never completed.
- The dental imprints of the convicted were compared to wounds on one of the victims, but the dental impressions of other persons of interest were never compared to the same wound.
- The shoe laces used to tie the victims were never measured and examined to determine if they all came from the victims' shoes...or if a foreign lace was involved.
- The victims' bare foot prints were never taken to compare to the latent print found on the ditch bank near the discovery site
- .The DNA of other persons of interest has never been compared to DNA found at the discovery site.
- The victims parents were never allowed to view the evidence to identify the victims' clothes or belongings.
- Tips from the public have been discounted and never properly investigated.
- There are inconsistencies in witness statements that seem to suggest another person(s) are responsible for the crime.
Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore have never received justice in this case, and are unable to seek remedy from the state of Arkansas. We, therefore, take up their cause.
We, the people of the world, hereby submit this petition to Governor Asa Hutchinson and Attorney General Leslie Rutledge of the state of Arkansas. We, the undersigned, respectfully request that you instruct the Arkansas State Police to re-open the investigation into the 1993 murders in West Memphis, Arkansas, of Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore. We believe the original investigation to have been tainted and incomplete.
Today: Ron is counting on you
Ron Schneidmiller needs your help with “Governor Asa Hutchinson: Instruct the Arkansas State Police to re-open the investigation into the 1993 murders in West Memphis, Arkansas, of Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore.”. Join Ron and 7,327 supporters today.