Save the lives of families from Otodo Gbame
This petition had 88 supporters
Otodo Gbame is a riverine community in Lagos State, Nigeria. On Sunday, thousands of people were made homeless as police ravaged their settlement and set parts of it on fire with the aim of displacing alleged militants who were living within the region. This forced many people out of their homes into canoes in the water. In the chaos, several were injured and some were killed by stray bullets.
Families are now left homeless and the government has no plan to rehabilitate them. The government claims it is for the greater good and security of Lagosians, but now we have just under 5000 people displaced within our state with no where to go.
In January, a Lagos court injunction forbade the destruction of communities like Otodo Gbame and yet this still happened. We must hold our government accountable. They cannot continually disenfranchise and criminalize the poor.
1. We demand that Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, holds a press conference to address Otodo Gbame. In this press conference, Akinwumni Ambode must acknowledge the fact that his administration did not have plans to rehabilitate the families living in that community as well as the excessive use of force that lead to the death and injury of men, women and children.
2. We demand that the Lagos State Monitoring Team apologize for their tweet issued on April 10, 2017 stating: ‘The government will not succumb to emotional blackmail and will stand by this decision because it is in the best interest of all residents #OtodoGbame’ this tweet is negligent and does not prioritize the lives of people in that community.
3. We demand that Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, presents a plan to rehabilitate the families that are displaced in this crisis.
4. We demand that Lagos State pay for the burials of all innocent lives killed as well as the medical bills of those injured as a result of the violent raids on Otodo Gbame
5. We ask for the Governor to re-evaluate his priorities to develop Lagos into a mega city, as our state is only as strong as how we treat the most vulnerable members of our society.
Today: Alexa is counting on you
Alexa Johara needs your help with “Governor Akinwunmi Ambode: Save the lives of families from Otodo Gbame”. Join Alexa and 87 supporters today.