Stop Chennai - Salem Expressway Project
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Please find the glimpse of the areas which are to be affected by the proposed expressway project which includes 8 way corridor between Chennai and Salem with proposed budget of ten thousand crores.
1. 16 reserve forest areas could be affected if the government goes ahead with Rs 10,000 crore Chennai-Salem Green Corridor highway project.
2. According to NHAI estimates, the project requires 2,343 hectares of land in the five districts which includes mostly 70~80% of agriculture lands.
3. This project is to just reduce 57 km travel distance between Chennai and Salem, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways proposed Rs. 10,000 crore project.
4. Nearly 13 organisations, including farmers associations, a few political parties, advocates and environment-based NGOs, have joined hands to form a federation against the project. They have started reaching out to villagers and farmers who will be affected. They staged a demonstration on Monday and handed over petitions to the Collector.
5. Nearly 92 villages will be affected if this highway project is implemented. Several thousand acres of agricultural lands and hundreds of farm wells will be affected.
6. Nearly 92 villages will be affected if this highway project is implemented. Several thousand acres of agricultural lands and hundreds of farm wells will be affected.
7. Heritage mango belt areas like Skandhashram, Valadi Manthope, Pothukuttai, Erumapalayam, Panankadu, Thenmalai, Udayapatti, Varagambadi, Vellallakuntam, Vilampatti, K.Pallapatti, Kuppanur, Achangukuttapatti and other villages with prime mango groves, figure in the land takeover plan.
8. Apart from the mango farming belt, reserve forest and small holdings of downtrodden communities and tribes are being eyed. Surveyors have started to make field markings on the lands proposed to be taken over, giving farmers jitters.
9. Farmers are upset about the compensation alleging that the market rate of the farms is relatively higher than what the government is offering.
10. Many farmer organisations allege that they were not consulted before the decision was made.
11. Many villagers including elderly women are being arrested by the police for objecting the project. Salem based activist Piyush Manush and a college student Valarmathi, 24 has also been arrested.
We need to stop the GO as soon as possible since there are a lot of reasons to be worried about which are not limited to agriculture but also to religions, worship places, tribal areas, forest zones and furthermore.
Today: Incendio Digital is counting on you
Incendio Digital Social Services needs your help with “Government of Tamil Nadu (India): Stop Chennai - Salem Expressway Project”. Join Incendio Digital and 3,798 supporters today.