Address the gaps in funding and support for people with intellectual disabilities.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 15,000!
Community Living Ontario and an ever-growing number of allies call on the next Government of Ontario to do a better job of supporting people who have an intellectual or developmental disability, their families, and the community organizations that assist them.
We ask for a plan, built in partnership with the Ontarians for whom this matters most, within six months of forming government. Why is a provincial plan of action so important?
Because Ontario is in crisis mode:
- Children lose funding for supports for no other reason than turning 18. They must reapply for funding as adults with no guarantee of when or how much they will receive.
- The waitlist for adult support is anticipated to reach 11,000 this year.
- Adults can wait more than 20 years for a home of their own. The waitlist for residential services is currently over 10,000.
- 73% of working-age adults who have an intellectual or developmental disability who live on their own are living in poverty, compared to 23% of people the same age who do not have a disability.
- Community agencies that support people who have an intellectual or developmental disability are severely underfunded.
Should people who have an intellectual disability be treated in this way? We call on the next government to develop a plan of action in partnership with community stakeholders to implement solutions for people who have an intellectual or developmental disability.
This plan is urgent and must:
- MANDATE services and supports so regardless of where a person lives in Ontario or the government of the day, people who have an intellectual disability can get what is required to participate fully in the community.
- END the cycle of poverty among people who have an intellectual or developmental disability.
- END the waitlists for residential supports.
- END the waitlists for child and adult funding supports.
- PROVIDE transition funding to adulthood.
- PROVIDE more operational funding to community agencies to ensure people receive needed supports.
Please join us by signing and sharing the #NotInMyOntario petition today.
Thank you in advance for voicing your concern for Ontarians with an intellectual or developmental disability.
Today: Community Living Ontario is counting on you
Community Living Ontario needs your help with “Government of Ontario: Address the gaps in funding and support for people with intellectual disabilities.”. Join Community Living Ontario and 14,969 supporters today.