Support peacemakers on BOTH sides on Israel-Palestine issue
This petition made change with 980 supporters!
We, the undersigned, note with regret that Gorey Municipal District has recently voted to end all further ties between Israel and the town and we wish to state the following.
1. Only two councillors supported the motion whilst all others abstained. It should not be possible for such an important vote to be carried with such a small level of support.
2. With regard to the Israel-Palestine issue, boycotts and sanctions tend to only harden attitudes and strengthen the more militant elements on both sides.
3. Voters will be entitled to wonder why councillors have nothing to say on other issues such as Russian aggression in Ukraine.
4. No less a Palestinian leader than Mahmoud Abbas has expressed his opposition to boycotts of Israel.
5. A similar motion was recently put before Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown council but was voted down.
6. The question does arise whether local councils in small towns should be taking sides in a deeply complex international issue - effectively side-lining themselves from ever being able to be a positive influence at any level.
Finally, we would like to ask that a further motion be put before the council stressing the importance of keeping links open with both Palestinians and Israelis and committing the council to doing whatever it can to support peacemakers on all sides.
Today: Ciarán is counting on you
Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh needs your help with “Gorey Municipal District: Support peacemakers on BOTH sides on Israel-Palestine issue”. Join Ciarán and 979 supporters today.