- Gordon Food Service
- Dan GordonChairman of the Board
- John GordonVice Chairman Emeritus
- Jim GordonCEO
- Tony GrollPresident, US Distribution
- Courtney AinsworthVice President, Supply Chain Management
Help Pamela Anderson End Horrific Animal Abuse
When I learned from my friends at Mercy For Animals that as many as a million chickens are scalded alive every year at slaughterhouses in the U.S., I was sick to my stomach. Sadly, even though birds make up more than 95 percent of the animals killed for food in this country, they are not protected by the federal Humane Methods of Slaughter Act. This means they are often killed in ways that would be illegal if the victims were cows or pigs.
But we can help change all of this!
A new undercover investigation by Mercy For Animals exposes these terrible abuses at a Gordon Food Service chicken supplier. Gordon Food Service is the largest private foodservice provider in the country and supplies restaurants like PF Chang’s, Red Robin, Perkins, Culver’s, and The Melting Pot.
Using hidden cameras, a Mercy For Animals investigator documented:
- Birds having their fragile wings and legs broken as they were recklessly and violently shackled upside down
- Severely sick, injured, and dying chickens sent through the slaughter line along with other birds intended for human consumption
- Frightened birds dragged through an electrified vat of water, painfully shocked but left fully conscious
- Birds having their throats sliced open while still conscious and able to feel pain
- Live, conscious birds scalded to death in feather-removal tanks
We cannot allow this to continue!
Gordon Food Service has not only enormous purchasing power and influence, but also the moral responsibility to end many of the worst forms of institutionalized animal abuse in its poultry supply chain.
MFA is calling on Gordon Food Service to immediately adopt meaningful animal welfare guidelines for its poultry suppliers, including on-farm improvements to reduce the number of birds who arrive sick and injured at the slaughterhouse and switching to less cruel killing systems that eliminate the horrific suffering caused by shackling, shocking, and slaughtering conscious animals. In addition to protecting animals from malicious cruelty and violence on factory farms, MFA’s proposed animal welfare improvements would prevent animals from being scalded alive in hot water tanks at the slaughterhouse.
Please, take a moment to sign my petition calling on Gordon Food Service to stop torturing chickens.
Then please share the hidden-camera video with friends and encourage them to take action too. And if you haven’t done so already, please consider ending your support of this needless cruelty altogether by adopting a compassionate vegan diet.
- Gordon Food Service
- Chairman of the Board
- Vice Chairman Emeritus
- President, US Distribution
- Vice President, Supply Chain Management
It made me sick to my stomach to watch hidden-camera video of blatant animal abuse at one of your chicken suppliers—workers violently slamming birds upside down into metal shackles, chickens cut open while still conscious and breathing, and birds scalded alive in hot water tanks.
This must stop!
As one of the top foodservice providers in the country, and a supplier to PF Chang’s, Red Robin, Perkins, Culver’s, and The Melting Pot, Gordon Food Service has the power, and the responsibility, to help end the needless suffering of chickens and other animals in your supply chain.
I am writing to ask that Gordon Food Service adopt a meaningful animal welfare policy that protects all animals in your supply chain from horrific cruelty on farms and at slaughter. For poultry, this must include:
- Ending selective breeding for rapid growth that often leads to crippling leg deformities
- Providing birds with more space, clean litter, access to natural light, and environmental enrichments
- Phasing out conventional slaughter methods in favor of less cruel systems that eliminate the horrific suffering caused by dumping, shackling, shocking, and slaughtering conscious animals
These are common-sense changes that would greatly alleviate needless suffering for millions of animals. Many other leading food providers, including Nestlé, Starbucks, and Sodexo, have already taken action to address animal welfare in their supply chains. It’s time for Gordon Food Service to do the same.
Please act quickly to end egregious animal abuse in your supply chain.
Pamela Anderson and Mercy For Animals started this petition with a single signature, and now has 143,253 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Pamela Anderson and Mercy For Animals is counting on you
Pamela Anderson and Mercy For Animals needs your help with “Gordon Food Service: Help Pamela Anderson End Horrific Animal Abuse”. Join Pamela Anderson and Mercy For Animals and 143,252 supporters today.