Google Translate : Include correct LGBTIQ+ words in Nepali
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Dear Google Translate,
We queer folks who speak Nepali language have been concerned with some translations of LGBTIQ+ related terminologies in Nepali language. While Google Translate is used as an important tool worldwide, we believe having incorrect information creates harmful impact on the consumers while we can improve this by placing correct information. We have seen that many LGBTIQ+ related terminologies in Google Translate has inaccurate translations and while we know the website is in the process of improvement, and therefore would like to urge Google Translate to update with correct information.
While we understand the range of LGBTIQ+ terminologies are constantly evolving, here we have identified some of the very basic and commonly used vocabularies and its translation issues.
1. Gender translates to लि .्ग which is a spelling error. The term for gender in Nepali is 'लैङ्गिकता'.
2. Sexuality translates to कामुकता, which actually refers to erocticism and more accurate translation is 'यौनिकता'.
3. Sex translates into यौन which is a correct translation but a pop-up list below the translation also mentions the term लिड़ग which is an incorrect information and there is no such words.
4. Gender identity translation shows up as लि gender्ग पहिचान which is a spelling error, and it should be लैङ्गिक पहिचान.
5. Gender expression translations shows up as लि .्ग अभिव्यक्ति which is a spelling error and should be लैङ्गिक प्रस्तुतीकरण.
6. There is no translation of the term 'cisgender' and it should be त्याचलिङ्गी and त्याचलैङ्गिक. (Variation of the same word)
7. The term 'transgender' only gets Devanagari transliteration and it's translation is पारलिङ्गी and पारलैङ्गिक. पारलिङ्गी महिला & पारलैङ्गिक महिला for transwoman; and पारलिङ्गी पुरुष & पारलैङ्गिक पुरुष for transman.
8. There is no translation of the term 'non-binary' and it should be गैर-द्वयसांखिक.
9. The translation for third gender is तेस्रो लि .्ग, which is a spelling error and it should be तेस्रोलिङ्गी.
10. The translation of 'sexual orientation' is यौन झुकाव, however we also request to place the term यौन अभिमुखिकरण as it is more prominently used.
11. 'Heterosexual' translates to 'भिन्नलिंगी' which actually means 'distinct genders'. The term for 'heterosexual' is विषमयौनिक. 'Heterosexuality' translates to 'विषमलैंगिकता' which should be corrected as विषमयौनिकता.
12. Similarly 'homosexual' should translate as 'समयौनिक' and 'homosexuality' as 'समयौनिकता'. There is also lack of the translation for 'lesbian' which is 'समयौनिक महिला'. Similarly the current translation as 'समलि .्गी' which itself is a spelling mistake, is a term that has no English equivalent. Many societies have gender terms that do not have a Western or English equivalency, such as hijra, kothi, khwajasira, in India; vakasalewalewa in Fiji; metti, mehru, fulumulu, folok molok, ghaade, samalingi tesrolingi in Nepal.
13. The term 'bisexual' translates to 'उभयलिंगी' which is an incorrect translation. We acknowledge that the term was used in biology & particularly botany to refer an organism isn't distinguished into male and female species and rather has both systems in one body. But the term 'hermaphrodite' is largely used and the usage of the term 'bisexual' is a sexual identity in which a person experiences sexual & romantic attraction to two genders. The term 'उभयलिंगी' translates to 'hermaphrodites' and 'bisexual' as a sexual identity is 'द्वियौनिक', and 'द्वियौनिकता' for bisexuality.
14. Similarly, there are no translations of the terms 'asexual', 'pansexual' and 'polysexual' which goes as अयौनिक, सर्वयौनिक, बहुयौनिक respectively and its noun forms asexuality, pansexuality & polysexuality goes by adding अयौनिकता, सर्वयौनिकता, बहुयौनिकता.
15. The term 'queer' with its meaning to a re-claimed vocabulary as an umbrella term to refer non-cisgender and non-heterosexual folks translates to 'कुरो' which actually means 'talks'. As it is an English term adopted in Nepali it has multiple spellings क्वयेर, कुएर, क्वीयर, कोयेर. The most prominent spelling in Nepali is 'क्वयेर' which can be found with a search on social media or google.
16. Other terms that we'd like to have included are homophobia : समद्वेषिता, homophobic : समद्वेषी, transphobia : पारद्वेषिता, transphobic : पारद्वेषी, biphobia : द्विद्वेषिता, biphobic : द्विद्वेषी, misogyny : महिलाद्वेषिता and स्त्रीद्वेषिता, misogynist : महिलाद्वेषी and स्त्रीद्वेषी, crossdresser : विषुपहिरणी, genderfluid : द्रवलिङ्गी and तरल लैङ्गिकता भएका व्यक्ति, agender : अलिङ्गी, bigender : दुईलिङ्गी, demigender : अर्धलिङ्गी, misgender : लैङ्गिक दुस्बोधन, deadname : मृतनाम.
17. There is no translation for the term 'intersex'. The translation is 'अन्तर्लिङ्गी'
18. 'Patriarchy' translates as 'कुलपिता' which actually means 'father of the clan'. The translation should be 'पितृसत्ता', and 'patriarchal' as 'पितृसत्तात्मक'. We would also urge to have the term 'महिलावाद' as translation of the term 'feminism' along the existing translation.
19. Pride Parade translates to गर्व परेड and we urge to replace it as 'गौरव यात्रा' as it is more accurate translation and is in prominent use.
Today: Queer Youth is counting on you
Queer Youth Group needs your help with “Google, Inc: Google Translate : Include correct LGBTIQ+ words in Nepali”. Join Queer Youth and 31 supporters today.