• Whereas, a critical goal for Pennsylvania is to ensure the safety of its residents.
• Whereas, in light of the budget crisis, we can no longer afford to spend nearly $2 billion on Pennsylvania state corrections when tested alternatives exist.
• Whereas, evidence and research show that programs and treatment are more effective than prison in reducing recidivism in most cases.
• Whereas, Texas, Michigan, New York and other states have reinvested their prison dollars into alternative programming and treatment resulting in reduced crime at less cost.
• Therefore be it resolved that I/we want to be Smart on Crime in calling for effective alternatives to prison to maximize limited dollars while maintaining public safety.
Build strong communities, not prisons. Join the Pennsylvania Prison Society in its efforts to promote a SMART on CRIME approach to criminal justice issues.
Pennsylvania Prison Society www.prisonsociety.org started this petition with a single signature, and now has 228 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.