Restore Funding to the GW Music Department/ TRDA (Theatre and Dance Department)
This petition had 1,643 supporters
It has just been announced that, under the banner of reorganization mandated by financial concerns, major changes in music at George Washington University (GW) will be implemented beginning fall, 2015. These changes include:
1. No instrumental or vocal study for non music majors or minors.
2. Non majors and minors currently taking lessons will NOT be grandfathered into the new system
3. Fees will increase for minors
4. Reduction in large ensembles from 2 bands to 1, and from 2 choruses to 1.
5. Radical reduction in small ensembles to 4 groups only, one of which would be designed for those students who have not yet declared a major or minor.
6. Other arts departments are also affected, although it appears music is the most drastically reduced.
Students were given this information on Friday, March 20, 2015 a full week after spring break and 5 days before the start of registration.
Estimates are that performance related study will be reduced by approximately 50% overall.
Budget cuts threaten to cut music/TRDA collaborations such as musicals and operas. Also non major/minor required classes or elective are all being cut. So ballet, ballroom dance, and vocal theater workshop are no longer being offered.
Please sign this petition to help us restore the Music Department's program/TRDA and encourage the arts at George Washington University.
Follow the progress at #savetheartsGW and @savetheartsGW
A 24 hour concert will be held from April 16th at 4:30 pm to April 17th at 4:30 pm in Kogan Plaza on campus to support the arts at GW. Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/679428435516038/
Today: Jessica is counting on you
Jessica Bolger needs your help with “George Washington University: Restore Funding to the GW Music Department”. Join Jessica and 1,642 supporters today.