Gordon College P.E Policy: financial transparency, validation options, scheduling blocks
This petition made change with 161 supporters!
Proposed PE Course Revision within the 2016 Updated Core
The GCSA Academic Affairs Committee is excited about the changes in the core curriculum as we believe that these will be of great benefit to students. As the Core was modified with the intention of being flexible, increasing validation options, providing foundational-level courses, and focusing on learning-outcomes, AAC brings the Core Committee this proposal related to the PE requirement. This policy change stems from student sentiment expressed at the 2016 Core Forum and feedback generated within AAC.
PE within the context of the refined Core:
1. All other courses, as from theology, are offered at the foundational level, while PE currently is required in addition to the LaVida/Discovery foundational experience.
2. PE courses costs are not included within tuition
3. The updated core is based on a spirit of using validation and appropriate placement more effectively to increase flexibility and reduce costs
AAC notes the following PE difficulties:
1. PE courses fill up fast and students are often unable to enroll in the classes of their choice as underclassmen
2. Because of the limited access to the courses, and the time of day they are offered (across scheduling blocks), they become an impediment to taking required academic courses in programs
3. Outcomes assessment is primarily tied to attendance, not skill or learned information
1. PE credits be clearly transferable from other colleges as meeting the Gordon PE requirement, rather than as electives
2. To create a system for PE petitions based on validation of physical activity through another means that meets the learning outcomes of the present courses—attendance and participation. Potential examples of this include
o A. the successful completion of a club sport season like rowing club
o B. WILD semester, which involves extensive hiking
Students would have to validate attendance/participation and explain the activities connection to the core learning objective #9 through the regular core petition process.
3. Create an increased level of awareness of the financial aspects of the P.E requirement as P.E is not included within tuition. AAC suggests that advisors stress the varying costs of P.E courses in order to foster financial responsibility. AAC also recommends adding the prices of individual courses to the class registration page on my.gordon.edu.
4. Increased access and visibility for the Concepts of Wellness course, to promote the importance of nutrition.
5. Varsity athletes be eligible for more than one PE credit, with more than one season played.
-Student Government’s Academic Affairs Committee, 2016
Today: Rosie is counting on you
Rosie Drinkhouse needs your help with “GCSA Student Govermnent : Gordon College P.E Policy: financial transparency, validation options, scheduling blocs”. Join Rosie and 160 supporters today.