Hemenway Elementary School Improved Crosswalk/Crossing Safety Petition
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Traffic in and around Hemenway Elementary School is a major concern for pedestrian safety. Water Street is an extremely busy road whereon cars often drive above the speed limit, including during school hours. Children and adults currently utilize the two crosswalks across Water Street to get to and from school grounds, as well as the McAuliffe Library, Heritage Assisted Living & Senior Independent Living Complex, and the MWRTA Bus Stop. Both crosswalks have low visibility and minimal safety signage around them that is difficult to see due to trees, bushes, etc. Additionally, witnesses have recalled countless times when they have "almost been hit" while using said crosswalks. Something needs to change. We are looking to improve the current condition by doing any or all of the following:
1. Affix flashing yellow caution lights from 9:00-9:20AM and 3:00-3:30PM;
2. Install traffic lights at the two crosswalks and a crossing button;
3. Install raised crosswalks or paint the existing crosswalks brighter colors;
4. Install speed bumps;
5. Ensure crosswalks are accessible for students and adults who are blind and deaf;
6. Employ crossing guards and/or police officers to help pedestrians cross at both crosswalks during the school year from 9:00-9:20AM and 3:00-3:20PM to assist pedestrians and direct traffic; and
7. Trim trees back that block existing signs from being readily visible as a driver approaches the school from the east.
Please help us by signing this petition. Your support will help our voices be heard. Thank you!
Today: Hemenway Elementary School is counting on you
Hemenway Elementary School Traffic Safety needs your help with “Framingham Traffic Commission: Hemenway Elementary School Improved Crosswalk/Crossing Safety Petition”. Join Hemenway Elementary School and 488 supporters today.